Discuss Anyone use a normal car for domestic work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Freedo

Ok here goes...I own a Mini cooper S (the new ones not the half tonne model) and was wondering if this is big enough to carry tools, etc? Basically everything a self employed sparky would need. Now before you say not a chance the back seats are out. So it looks like this but without the rear brace (bar);
Anyone use a normal car for domestic work? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
So, is their anyone on here that also uses a normal car for work? Tbh, I don't think I be able to live without the Mini and drive around in a van at the weekends with nooo power, lolz...

I can picture this......
Trying to get 3 metre lenghts of trunking and conduit in there.....
And a bundle of metal capping........
And rolls of cable..........
And other first fix items.........
And (to a lesser extent) 2ndfix items.........
And tools.....
And A ladder or 2........
I think not !
The smallest vehicle you need is a Citroen Master size (and that can get cramped)...with a roofrack.
Leave the german mini copy at home friend...
Lease a van or buy an old Transit.
(I'm more than biased, by the way, as I've got an Alfa Romeo Lusso with leather etc. - won't let a bottle of Coke or a bag of crisps in there :) )

I can picture this......
Trying to get 3 metre lenghts of trunking and conduit in there.....
And a bundle of metal capping........
And rolls of cable..........
And other first fix items.........
And (to a lesser extent) 2ndfix items.........
And tools.....
And A ladder or 2........
I think not !
The smallest vehicle you need is a Citroen Master size (and that can get cramped)...with a roofrack.
Leave the german mini copy at home friend...
Lease a van or buy an old Transit.
(I'm more than biased, by the way, as I've got an Alfa Romeo Lusso with leather etc. - won't let a bottle of Coke or a bag of crisps in there :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
course it is possible whats wrong with the long stuff on the roof??

here is my work wagon minus roof bars

most people dont realise its a van with the trend for rear window tints

but it is!!

it depends what work you have to do and where you have to take it i would say it is going to get messed up though and punctures on those expensive low profile tyres ouch!!

also if you do go on site be prepared for the nickname hollywood or similar

I stopped using my van in london many years ago. It was just asking to get robbed. I have used estates and now a landcruiser and i have yet to have them broken into. Also a lot smaller and clients prefer them if on drive etc. if its a real big job i get the van out and drop the stuff off.
A mate i know "sparks" for small shops etc (does very well ££) and uses a Push bike !!
his costs are almost nothing and he is quick from A-B. does about 3 jobs a day min and has more £ at the end of the year due to saving on the van costs etc

Glad to see your apprentice is allready in the van and waiting to go!

yea people have said "you treat your apprentice like a dog" thats because he is one:p

and even though he craps on the ground where he likes. he still isnt the messiest trainee i have had:eek:

love the idea of a spark on a bike luke

great way to shh the neysaying van lovers because whilst mine is technically a van its no bigger than our friends mini there and he was getting some stick:confused:

so i say go forth my man wreck that cooper and make some dough:)

yea people have said "you treat your apprentice like a dog" thats because he is one:p

and even though he craps on the ground where he likes. he still isnt the messiest trainee i have had:eek:

love the idea of a spark on a bike luke

great way to shh the neysaying van lovers because whilst mine is technically a van its no bigger than our friends mini there and he was getting some stick:confused:

so i say go forth my man wreck that cooper and make some dough:)

He gets a lot of work ! people love him and his simple attitude. he is there quickly and no worries about parking etc. he tends to do a lot of Lighting etc and most people have ladders etc. he has a select tool kit in a back pack and a medium stanley box on the back with a few tools and stuff. try getting a sparkie to change some bulbs in a kitchen at 6 pm friday night Sloan Square etc ! the call out charge and parking will be about £100.

he has 4 x locations where he stores cables and bulbs etc and works well. to be honest he is almost stress free ! And he has 2 x spare bikes just in case the scum rob his bike !

He should run this country !

Reply to Anyone use a normal car for domestic work? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock