Search the forum,

Discuss ATL/Trade qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Want a proper route to become an electrician??

get to night college like the rest of us and stop taking these quick courses!!

You think your 5k is safe with these clowns?? They are no safer than PPI company's.

Yes, we know that now! But my husband was in the same boat as many young men in this country. We had two children under two, he works six days a week, up to 12 hours a day, and at night, comes home exhausted and wishing he could see more of his children. So many young men are in this boat and are just desperate to better themselves and provide for their families. They are fooled in to thinking that this is an easier way to complete the course, rather than years of night school. So he, like many others, have learnt a harsh lesson, and of course, many of us are embarrassed at being duped by such a company. However inadequate you think the training is with these courses, you still expect some level of training. Not for them to take your money and give you NOTHING, just steal it and run. That is not something that can be justified. The reason I am posting is because many other young men might be considering night school verses fast track training schemes. You can't blame them for that. These people aren't just being lazy by not wanting to go to night school! To put your trust in to a company like Trade Qualified/Train A Trade doesn't mean you are foolish, just desperate, I'd say. It's them that are the scumbags for taking that money and not providing what they should. Perhaps potential students will read this and take your good advice - go to a proper college and get proper training, or you might as well just throw your money down a drain.

I really do feel for everyone who has lost their cash.
if you don't mind me asking, how long was is before they said 'you'd be a qualified electrician' ?

I really do feel for everyone who has lost their cash.
if you don't mind me asking, how long was is before they said 'you'd be a qualified electrician' ?
My husband had a decent person sign him up. He advised him that the course was designed to be completed within two years, he may complete it quicker depending on the amount of hard work he was prepared to put in. And I would say that would have been fair, he could have completed it in two years. But many others that I have spoken with were told that they could be a qualified Electrician in 3 to 7 months! And of course, that could never happen. Even in two years, I don't think my husband would have known enough to go out and work as an electrician. There's just not enough hands on training to be able to. He likened it to learning to drive by reading books. You can read books all day but unless you are getting the practical experience, you will never be good enough. He has been to college in the past to get other qualifications and had hands on practical training and that is by far the best way to learn and the ONLY way to get in to this type of industry in my opinion.

Yes, we know that now! But my husband was in the same boat as many young men in this country. We had two children under two, he works six days a week, up to 12 hours a day, and at night, comes home exhausted and wishing he could see more of his children. So many young men are in this boat and are just desperate to better themselves and provide for their families. They are fooled in to thinking that this is an easier way to complete the course, rather than years of night school. So he, like many others, have learnt a harsh lesson, and of course, many of us are embarrassed at being duped by such a company. However inadequate you think the training is with these courses, you still expect some level of training. Not for them to take your money and give you NOTHING, just steal it and run. That is not something that can be justified. The reason I am posting is because many other young men might be considering night school verses fast track training schemes. You can't blame them for that. These people aren't just being lazy by not wanting to go to night school! To put your trust in to a company like Trade Qualified/Train A Trade doesn't mean you are foolish, just desperate, I'd say. It's them that are the scumbags for taking that money and not providing what they should. Perhaps potential students will read this and take your good advice - go to a proper college and get proper training, or you might as well just throw your money down a drain.

It's not ALL these training centres fault, though maybe to the greater extent!! Commonsense, that seems to be diminishing fast these day's should also come into play on the side of the potential student. That and thourgh research, before parting with large sums of money should be ringing warning bells at the very least!! I think it is well known, that learning a professional trade, especially as an electrician, has been traditionally a 4 or 5 year time period. So how on earth would anyone think a 17 day or 5 week course could ever be able to cover the same training in terms of real qualifications, working experience, and learning from qualified electricians in the field??

We get the same questions on here at least once or twice a week, For some reason or other those wanting to retrain as electricians think it's an easy transition. It's NOT, it's probably the hardest of all the building trades, and apart from anything else requires a much better than average math ability/understanding too.

For one reason or another, those that want to become an electrician later in life, think that the standard industries proven training systems and qualification levels should be lowered in order for them to get a foot in the door. Sorry and all that, but those standards are and have been in place for many years now, and for very good reason. ...those that go through the correct training and eventually gains sufficient work experience, aren't going to be putting themselves and paying clients and/or property at risk of injury or fire!!

Every fully qualified electrician out there in the real world, has had to put the required substantial time and effort (and in recent years money) into gaining that fully qualified status, be they straight from school apprentice trained, or self financed self motivated adult trained etc!!

It's not ALL these training centres fault, though maybe to the greater extent!! Commonsense, that seems to be diminishing fast these day's should also come into play on the side of the potential student. That and thourgh research, before parting with large sums of money should be ringing warning bells at the very least!! I think it is well known, that learning a professional trade, especially as an electrician, has been traditionally a 4 or 5 year time period. So how on earth would anyone think a 17 day or 5 week course could ever be able to cover the same training in terms of real qualifications, working experience, and learning from qualified electricians in the field??

We get the same questions on here at least once or twice a week, For some reason or other those wanting to retrain as electricians think it's an easy transition. It's NOT, it's probably the hardest of all the building trades, and apart from anything else requires a much better than average math ability/understanding too.

For one reason or another, those that want to become an electrician later in life, think that the standard industries proven training systems and qualification levels should be lowered in order for them to get a foot in the door. Sorry and all that, but those standards are and have been in place for many years now, and for very good reason. ...those that go through the correct training and eventually gains sufficient work experience, aren't going to be putting themselves and paying clients and/or property at risk of injury or fire!!

Every fully qualified electrician out there in the real world, has had to put the required substantial time and effort (and in recent years money) into gaining that fully qualified status, be they straight from school apprentice trained, or self financed self motivated adult trained etc!!
Thanks for the advice, I hope others read it and don't make the same mistake we did. We did our research. Sadly, back in 2011, the company seemed reputable and times were desperate. And it wasn't a 5 week course, it was a 5 week practical course, accompanied by two years of home study, and even then, he planned to qualify and then work as a mate if he could. But all that aside, yes, it was a very, very silly mistake to make and a harsh lesson to learn. I hope others learn from it. Best wishes and thanks.

Thanks for the advice, I hope others read it and don't make the same mistake we did. We did our research. Sadly, back in 2011, the company seemed reputable and times were desperate. And it wasn't a 5 week course, it was a 5 week practical course, accompanied by two years of home study, and even then, he planned to qualify and then work as a mate if he could. But all that aside, yes, it was a very, very silly mistake to make and a harsh lesson to learn. I hope others learn from it. Best wishes and thanks.

I really feel for you and your husband and sadly this only exposes the mess we are in with this 5 week training schemes also did you ay them via credit card or bank card as my understanding is you may get compensated through this.

Thank you. There are 93 people on the bringtradequalified2justice Facebook group that I can see, so seems a lot of people genuinely thought that enrolling with Trade Qualified/ Train A Trade would get them somewhere in life. Of course, if we all knew what we know now... Bank transfer, unfortunately. So we are obviously going through the liquidation process like everyone else. We, and all those who were signed up and left out of pocket, are now £5k down, and that has taught us a big lesson. However, Trade Qualified are now able to just open up as Train A Trade and carry on as normal. I just want to stop other families going through the same thing. I know we will never see our money again. But I would urge anyone to go through a reputable college rather than gamble your life savings.

I'd find out where they are based and go there? For 5grand I'd travel anywhere to get back!! I'd wanna meet the boss who's decision it is to NOT give it to me.... 2 mins alone with him I'd guarantee I'd walk out happy ;)

I'd find out where they are based and go there? For 5grand I'd travel anywhere to get back!! I'd wanna meet the boss who's decision it is to NOT give it to me.... 2 mins alone with him I'd guarantee I'd walk out happy ;)

Or you could get placards made up and stand outside their premises and at the same time make it public knowledge through facebook twitter and the web without being malicious in other words please be advised the XXXXXX used to be YYYYY and have left 100 high and dry

Or you could get placards made up and stand outside their premises and at the same time make it public knowledge through facebook twitter and the web without being malicious in other words please be advised the XXXXXX used to be YYYYY and have left 100 high and dry

In an ideal world that's probably best. But would rather be inside the building with my hand around the gaffas throat than being stuck outside holding a picket sign and signing songs. But hey...each to their own. The political route is almost always the best option, but are they being policitial with you by stealing (because that's what it is) your £5k?

Ha ha, Floody , I like your thinking. The people involved know that we know exactly where they are hiding (not at their registered address either) and the people orchestrating the whole thing know who they are. I won't stoop to anything illegal like they have done. I will be going through the liquidation process like everyone else and I will be patient and let Action Fraud, Trading Standards and proper legal channels deal with them. The Facebook page owner has been very good at raising awareness. But I certainly worry about others who sign up for Train A Trade, it's a lot of money to part with to a company who have treated their students appallingly, and have absolutely no morals. My hope is that any other potential students will come across this and think again before signing up.

Oh believe me, I would love to get my hands round the throats of everyone involved. But they would just love that. I will not let this rest. I found out that my family were duped out of £5000. But then, I found out that other hard working people who just believed that they could get a break in life have been duped too - that is awful and I will not give up until those involved get their rightful punishment. So a reminder once again, the Facebook page that another student set up is bringtradequalified2justice.

I really hope you get it sorted,
keep us informed.

Thanks for your support all of you. It's much appreciated.Steve50, just saw your message. I am not sure, but I thought Train 4 Trade Skills came under the ATL umbrella, and they were still doing ok? Why, do you know otherwise?

Just read that Train 4 Trade Skills is another company good at ripping people off. I thought that Trade Qualified were now CERTIFI TRAINING? Anyhow, any potential students should avoid like the plague. Perhaps you should all come together and tackle this as one big voice, as I see the moderators and members of this forum are trying to tackle it the best they can and warn people off. But it seems the only place that this is happening and may not be checked before some keen young person is willing to part with thousands of pounds in hope of a better future. It is ridiculous that this can go on. TQ - I have referred some Train 4 Trade Skills to the bringtradequalified2justice facebook site, perhaps you can all unite and make one big noise? Best of luck.

Reply to ATL/Trade qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net