Discuss ATL/Trade qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yea, I have received part of the goods.

I've come out so far with my C&G 2382 17th Edition and C&G 2377 PAT testing. They still owe me various training towards C&G 2392 and then eventually a day of extra training and the opportunity to take that and get my 2392 certificate, they also owe me a CSCS card (although I already have the basic one anyway) a 1 day course and certificate in basic first aid, 200 pounds worth of tools in a starter tool kit and Full Scope Part P qualification. In addition to this for paying up front I was promised the BPEC Solar Photo-voltaic course, which iirc was 4 days.

Steady on there, this isn't really about that, besides I already said that I believed the courses offering weeks of training were inadequate, I did say that it takes a lot more than 4 weeks, so don't make out like I said otherwise please, all I said was that it doesn't take 4 years, which I think is fair. I could do a PHD in less time than that if I did it full time. I am well aware that I am not an electrician or even a mate, I am more than happy to acknowledge that. I know it takes years to become a proficient electrician, but what if I were to say for example, 2 years ...that's years but it's half of 4 years. I wouldn't like to put a number on it to be honest, all I mean to say is, for me personally, I know it wont take 4, I have done enough technical work elsewhere to know that.

There is no need to jump on me like that at all. I know the industry has a lot of people in it who are quite ...touchy about apprenticeships and do not seem to believe anyone who is trying or has succeeded in getting into the industry any other way has any right to be there ...in some cases I have little doubt they are right, and no doubt an apprenticeship is ideal and had I been 18 I would be more than willing to undertake one, even if it took longer than 4 years. But at 28 and unemployed and trying to make a relatively quick career change, I don't have the time to do that. I know if given the right chances I could be a very good electrician, safety is not something I would fool around with and right now I would be the first to admit I am not close to proficient, but given the chance to get enough practical experience and the right technical training I would be and it wouldn't take me 4 years, believe me, not unless other people were slowing me down to fit in with their idea of how long it should take at least.

I won't say any more on this here as it will completely derail the thread, but I felt I had to respond to you, your outburst was rather ...dramatic.

Please don't miss-understand me though, I am not saying I would know it all in 4 years, I'm not a fool, I like to think I learn things everyday and I have no doubt as an electrician I would always be learning too.

It's crazy isn't it!! lol!!

He should look at what he's saying in that last post, ...They owe me a 1 Day course for this, another day's course for that, a 4 day course for something else!! What does he and others think they are going to learn on these short courses?? Not a mention anywhere of a Core qualification to any of these fast track courses, just mainly useless/meaningless add-on type courses.....

This isn't about the perceived or actual value, quality or thoroughness of these courses though, regardless of what you or I think about it. Fact is, me and a good number of other people have paid for something we aren't getting and it would appear are been stolen from at this point.

I did say earlier in the thread that I now understand that these courses really can't come close to actually making you an electrician (apparently people would rather get bent out of shape over a fairly innocuous comment I made), when I started down this path though I did not know that, I did not know anyone to ask about it and a bit of internet research seemed to suggest these courses were about the only way in for people too old to do apprenticeships.

I originally came to this forum seeking help and advice with becoming an electrician, all I really seem to get are people like you jumping on me and rubbishing everything I am trying to achieve, I am sorry if it offends you but an electrical apprenticeship is not open to me as it is for a school leaver. Should this really preclude me from being an electrician? ...or any of us in the same boat as me? ...it might not be traditional and it might not be the same way you did it, but with the right individual it can work, if given a chance by the people already in the industry. I admit though, this method is very reliant on the individual to make it work, since you aren't sat in a classroom and taught much at all and you aren't given a placement with a company so you can learn on the job. This lack of practical experience is the worst part really, it seems to be very difficult to get any, but if given that chance, I know I could make it work. I just need enough practical experience.

With many jobs of course you can join a company as a trainee and learn from those with experience as you go and your salary will reflect this. It seems to me that this doesn't really exist in the electrical industry as such, the only thing like this I have seen is the apprenticeship. Which as I have said, is pretty well cut off once you are over 25 years of age ...so how are you supposed to do it then?

It's very easy to mock and deride those trying to get in by methods other than apprenticeships, but it is nearly all people who simply can't do one due to their age, so why don't you offer up some solutions to this problem then ? ...you can't possibly be suggesting that the door closes after a point, surely? Despite wanting to do it more quickly than 4 years, if I could get onto an apprenticeship scheme, I would take it, as it would give me a much better grounding in the trade. Based on the research I did in 2011, the reason you can't really do one after 25 is because the funding the government provides stops for it at that point. I have seen some apprenticeship schemes in the passed that only wanted people upto 21.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath. I was frogmarched off of a course with them in December, and now I have been advised that they have moved offices with no forwarding address. I have looked up that the director of TQ also owns Future Training College Ltd, if that helps. I have contacted him through them, seeing as TQ are impossible to get in contact with. Hope that helps you?
find out where this `director` lives....
go round see him...

all i can say as regards to length of time to learn the 'trade', i had an apprentice for almost 2 years, we tested daily and had a simple effective routine that picked up everything. anyway his last day was almost as bad as his first, 2 years of testing and he wasnt learning, made some serious mistakes. this was about the tenth apprentice i have worked with

Steady on there, this isn't really about that, besides I already said that I believed the courses offering weeks of training were inadequate, I did say that it takes a lot more than 4 weeks, so don't make out like I said otherwise please, all I said was that it doesn't take 4 years, which I think is fair. I could do a PHD in less time than that if I did it full time. I am well aware that I am not an electrician or even a mate, I am more than happy to acknowledge that. I know it takes years to become a proficient electrician, but what if I were to say for example, 2 years ...that's years but it's half of 4 years. I wouldn't like to put a number on it to be honest, all I mean to say is, for me personally, I know it wont take 4, I have done enough technical work elsewhere to know that.

There is no need to jump on me like that at all. I know the industry has a lot of people in it who are quite ...touchy about apprenticeships and do not seem to believe anyone who is trying or has succeeded in getting into the industry any other way has any right to be there ...in some cases I have little doubt they are right, and no doubt an apprenticeship is ideal and had I been 18 I would be more than willing to undertake one, even if it took longer than 4 years. But at 28 and unemployed and trying to make a relatively quick career change, I don't have the time to do that. I know if given the right chances I could be a very good electrician, safety is not something I would fool around with and right now I would be the first to admit I am not close to proficient, but given the chance to get enough practical experience and the right technical training I would be and it wouldn't take me 4 years, believe me, not unless other people were slowing me down to fit in with their idea of how long it should take at least.

I won't say any more on this here as it will completely derail the thread, but I felt I had to respond to you, your outburst was rather ...dramatic.

Please don't miss-understand me though, I am not saying I would know it all in 4 years, I'm not a fool, I like to think I learn things everyday and I have no doubt as an electrician I would always be learning too.

This isn't about the perceived or actual value, quality or thoroughness of these courses though, regardless of what you or I think about it. Fact is, me and a good number of other people have paid for something we aren't getting and it would appear are been stolen from at this point.

I did say earlier in the thread that I now understand that these courses really can't come close to actually making you an electrician (apparently people would rather get bent out of shape over a fairly innocuous comment I made), when I started down this path though I did not know that, I did not know anyone to ask about it and a bit of internet research seemed to suggest these courses were about the only way in for people too old to do apprenticeships.

I originally came to this forum seeking help and advice with becoming an electrician, all I really seem to get are people like you jumping on me and rubbishing everything I am trying to achieve, I am sorry if it offends you but an electrical apprenticeship is not open to me as it is for a school leaver. Should this really preclude me from being an electrician? ...or any of us in the same boat as me? ...it might not be traditional and it might not be the same way you did it, but with the right individual it can work, if given a chance by the people already in the industry. I admit though, this method is very reliant on the individual to make it work, since you aren't sat in a classroom and taught much at all and you aren't given a placement with a company so you can learn on the job. This lack of practical experience is the worst part really, it seems to be very difficult to get any, but if given that chance, I know I could make it work. I just need enough practical experience.

With many jobs of course you can join a company as a trainee and learn from those with experience as you go and your salary will reflect this. It seems to me that this doesn't really exist in the electrical industry as such, the only thing like this I have seen is the apprenticeship. Which as I have said, is pretty well cut off once you are over 25 years of age ...so how are you supposed to do it then?

It's very easy to mock and deride those trying to get in by methods other than apprenticeships, but it is nearly all people who simply can't do one due to their age, so why don't you offer up some solutions to this problem then ? ...you can't possibly be suggesting that the door closes after a point, surely? Despite wanting to do it more quickly than 4 years, if I could get onto an apprenticeship scheme, I would take it, as it would give me a much better grounding in the trade. Based on the research I did in 2011, the reason you can't really do one after 25 is because the funding the government provides stops for it at that point. I have seen some apprenticeship schemes in the passed that only wanted people upto 21.

First off, no-ones trying to mock you, other than for coming out with ''it doesn't take 4 years'' to learn, study, gain experience and be proficient!! There are other way's than these useless training centres, a good example of this would be GLENNSPARK, who didn't go through the recognised apprenticeship system, but did put an awful lot of time and effort in, to gain both meaningful qualifications and experience!!

It doesn't really matter what your situation is, if your not prepared or can't, for one reason or another, put the necessary time and effort into learning this trade/profession, then find another career change. This is NOT the type of trade you can go about lowering standards, just to suite people such as yourself that fancy a change in direction. The very least you need to become an electrician, is a core qualification and experience under the supervision of a proficient electrician.

Now you can moan and be resentful all you like, that is, what is basically the ''very minimum'' required to become an electrician. It's pure lunacy to think that you are a competent person after a few weeks, having gained meaningless qualifications. You also don't gain experience by going into a customers home practicing what little you know from a totally inadequate training course.

The main argument here is, Why should a highly technical trade/profession, lower it's well proven standards of training to suite those that are not even prepared to put the time and effort in to learn the fundamentals. As i say, where there is a ''will'', there is always a ''way'' to become a proficient electrician!!

It's pure lunacy to think that you are a competent person after a few weeks, having gained meaningless qualifications. You also don't gain experience by going into a customers home practicing what little you know from a totally inadequate training course.

The main argument here is, Why should a highly technical trade/profession, lower it's well proven standards of training to suite those that are not even prepared to put the time and effort in to learn the fundamentals. As i say, where there is a ''will'', there is always a ''way'' to become a proficient electrician!!

I never at any point said you could be competent in a few weeks, I actually said you couldn't be, if you take the time to read what I actually wrote, so on that point we are in agreement. Secondly I am not asking, expecting or even wanting this trade to lower it's standards, quite the opposite, I am all for high standards and I would do my very best to live up to those standards, I realise a short course will not prepare me nearly well enough for this, I even said that too. All I said was that I believe it can be done without a 4 year apprenticeship, and that I would indeed like to be working as an electrician more quickly than that ...although I imagine still under the supervision of a more experience person. That's all, ...you just gunned for me over that comment about weather it takes 4 years or not ...I think you really got the wrong end of the stick though. You have inferred and assumed an awful lot from one line I wrote, then you have come at me, deciding you already know what kind of electrician I would be and proceeded to lecture me on the blindingly obvious.

You've got me all wrong, I am well aware of the shortcomings of the route I have taken now, I wasn't when I started mind but it became very apparent the first week I was at the training centre, that it would realistically take years to become competent and be able to work unsupervised. I am not really sure what to do about this right now (do you have any helpful suggestions? I am more than willing to listen them if you do), but again, this thread is being driven off topic badly, it was never about how good or bad these courses are it was just about Trade Qualified and how they seem to be trying to make off with a lot of people's money without delivering the training we paid for (weather that be good or bad training). I never wanted to get into an argument with anyone here about ...well anything really, but you did lay it on pretty thick because you didn't like one little comment I made, you weren't even particularly diplomatic about it either, which is what got on my nerves, you were quite rude to me and made all sorts of assumptions about me ...and I will not take that lying down. Can we drop this now please.

Trade qualified facebook problem page

Hi all, Since posting on here and a Facebook page being created, its highlighted The magnitude of people that have also had no contact or explanation.

IF THIS AFFECTED YOU ALSO PLEASE LIKE AND POST ON BRING TRADE QUALIFIED 2 JUSTICE - FOLLOW THE LINK

Bringtradequalified2justice | Facebook

Trade Qualified have left the students that trusted them high and dry. Some have paid their money in full and have not even had their first week of practical training, and have lost £5000. Trade Qualified have now set up as TRAIN A TRADE LTD. My advice? Avoid at all costs.

I never at any point said you could be competent in a few weeks, I actually said you couldn't be, if you take the time to read what I actually wrote, so on that point we are in agreement. Secondly I am not asking, expecting or even wanting this trade to lower it's standards, quite the opposite, I am all for high standards and I would do my very best to live up to those standards, I realise a short course will not prepare me nearly well enough for this, I even said that too. All I said was that I believe it can be done without a 4 year apprenticeship, and that I would indeed like to be working as an electrician more quickly than that ...although I imagine still under the supervision of a more experience person. That's all, ...you just gunned for me over that comment about weather it takes 4 years or not ...I think you really got the wrong end of the stick though. You have inferred and assumed an awful lot from one line I wrote, then you have come at me, deciding you already know what kind of electrician I would be and proceeded to lecture me on the blindingly obvious.

You've got me all wrong, I am well aware of the shortcomings of the route I have taken now, I wasn't when I started mind but it became very apparent the first week I was at the training centre, that it would realistically take years to become competent and be able to work unsupervised. I am not really sure what to do about this right now (do you have any helpful suggestions? I am more than willing to listen them if you do), but again, this thread is being driven off topic badly, it was never about how good or bad these courses are it was just about Trade Qualified and how they seem to be trying to make off with a lot of people's money without delivering the training we paid for (weather that be good or bad training). I never wanted to get into an argument with anyone here about ...well anything really, but you did lay it on pretty thick because you didn't like one little comment I made, you weren't even particularly diplomatic about it either, which is what got on my nerves, you were quite rude to me and made all sorts of assumptions about me ...and I will not take that lying down. Can we drop this now please.

So what do you think i'm saying here then??

As i say, where there is a ''will'', there is always a ''way'' to become a proficient electrician!!

Want a proper route to become an electrician??

get to night college like the rest of us and stop taking these quick courses!!

You think your 5k is safe with these clowns?? They are no safer than PPI company's.

Want a proper route to become an electrician??

get to night college like the rest of us and stop taking these quick courses!!

You think your 5k is safe with these clowns?? They are no safer than PPI company's.

Yes, we know that now! But my husband was in the same boat as many young men in this country. We had two children under two, he works six days a week, up to 12 hours a day, and at night, comes home exhausted and wishing he could see more of his children. So many young men are in this boat and are just desperate to better themselves and provide for their families. They are fooled in to thinking that this is an easier way to complete the course, rather than years of night school. So he, like many others, have learnt a harsh lesson, and of course, many of us are embarrassed at being duped by such a company. However inadequate you think the training is with these courses, you still expect some level of training. Not for them to take your money and give you NOTHING, just steal it and run. That is not something that can be justified. The reason I am posting is because many other young men might be considering night school verses fast track training schemes. You can't blame them for that. These people aren't just being lazy by not wanting to go to night school! To put your trust in to a company like Trade Qualified/Train A Trade doesn't mean you are foolish, just desperate, I'd say. It's them that are the scumbags for taking that money and not providing what they should. Perhaps potential students will read this and take your good advice - go to a proper college and get proper training, or you might as well just throw your money down a drain.

I really do feel for everyone who has lost their cash.
if you don't mind me asking, how long was is before they said 'you'd be a qualified electrician' ?

I really do feel for everyone who has lost their cash.
if you don't mind me asking, how long was is before they said 'you'd be a qualified electrician' ?
My husband had a decent person sign him up. He advised him that the course was designed to be completed within two years, he may complete it quicker depending on the amount of hard work he was prepared to put in. And I would say that would have been fair, he could have completed it in two years. But many others that I have spoken with were told that they could be a qualified Electrician in 3 to 7 months! And of course, that could never happen. Even in two years, I don't think my husband would have known enough to go out and work as an electrician. There's just not enough hands on training to be able to. He likened it to learning to drive by reading books. You can read books all day but unless you are getting the practical experience, you will never be good enough. He has been to college in the past to get other qualifications and had hands on practical training and that is by far the best way to learn and the ONLY way to get in to this type of industry in my opinion.

Yes, we know that now! But my husband was in the same boat as many young men in this country. We had two children under two, he works six days a week, up to 12 hours a day, and at night, comes home exhausted and wishing he could see more of his children. So many young men are in this boat and are just desperate to better themselves and provide for their families. They are fooled in to thinking that this is an easier way to complete the course, rather than years of night school. So he, like many others, have learnt a harsh lesson, and of course, many of us are embarrassed at being duped by such a company. However inadequate you think the training is with these courses, you still expect some level of training. Not for them to take your money and give you NOTHING, just steal it and run. That is not something that can be justified. The reason I am posting is because many other young men might be considering night school verses fast track training schemes. You can't blame them for that. These people aren't just being lazy by not wanting to go to night school! To put your trust in to a company like Trade Qualified/Train A Trade doesn't mean you are foolish, just desperate, I'd say. It's them that are the scumbags for taking that money and not providing what they should. Perhaps potential students will read this and take your good advice - go to a proper college and get proper training, or you might as well just throw your money down a drain.

It's not ALL these training centres fault, though maybe to the greater extent!! Commonsense, that seems to be diminishing fast these day's should also come into play on the side of the potential student. That and thourgh research, before parting with large sums of money should be ringing warning bells at the very least!! I think it is well known, that learning a professional trade, especially as an electrician, has been traditionally a 4 or 5 year time period. So how on earth would anyone think a 17 day or 5 week course could ever be able to cover the same training in terms of real qualifications, working experience, and learning from qualified electricians in the field??

We get the same questions on here at least once or twice a week, For some reason or other those wanting to retrain as electricians think it's an easy transition. It's NOT, it's probably the hardest of all the building trades, and apart from anything else requires a much better than average math ability/understanding too.

For one reason or another, those that want to become an electrician later in life, think that the standard industries proven training systems and qualification levels should be lowered in order for them to get a foot in the door. Sorry and all that, but those standards are and have been in place for many years now, and for very good reason. ...those that go through the correct training and eventually gains sufficient work experience, aren't going to be putting themselves and paying clients and/or property at risk of injury or fire!!

Every fully qualified electrician out there in the real world, has had to put the required substantial time and effort (and in recent years money) into gaining that fully qualified status, be they straight from school apprentice trained, or self financed self motivated adult trained etc!!

It's not ALL these training centres fault, though maybe to the greater extent!! Commonsense, that seems to be diminishing fast these day's should also come into play on the side of the potential student. That and thourgh research, before parting with large sums of money should be ringing warning bells at the very least!! I think it is well known, that learning a professional trade, especially as an electrician, has been traditionally a 4 or 5 year time period. So how on earth would anyone think a 17 day or 5 week course could ever be able to cover the same training in terms of real qualifications, working experience, and learning from qualified electricians in the field??

We get the same questions on here at least once or twice a week, For some reason or other those wanting to retrain as electricians think it's an easy transition. It's NOT, it's probably the hardest of all the building trades, and apart from anything else requires a much better than average math ability/understanding too.

For one reason or another, those that want to become an electrician later in life, think that the standard industries proven training systems and qualification levels should be lowered in order for them to get a foot in the door. Sorry and all that, but those standards are and have been in place for many years now, and for very good reason. ...those that go through the correct training and eventually gains sufficient work experience, aren't going to be putting themselves and paying clients and/or property at risk of injury or fire!!

Every fully qualified electrician out there in the real world, has had to put the required substantial time and effort (and in recent years money) into gaining that fully qualified status, be they straight from school apprentice trained, or self financed self motivated adult trained etc!!
Thanks for the advice, I hope others read it and don't make the same mistake we did. We did our research. Sadly, back in 2011, the company seemed reputable and times were desperate. And it wasn't a 5 week course, it was a 5 week practical course, accompanied by two years of home study, and even then, he planned to qualify and then work as a mate if he could. But all that aside, yes, it was a very, very silly mistake to make and a harsh lesson to learn. I hope others learn from it. Best wishes and thanks.

Thanks for the advice, I hope others read it and don't make the same mistake we did. We did our research. Sadly, back in 2011, the company seemed reputable and times were desperate. And it wasn't a 5 week course, it was a 5 week practical course, accompanied by two years of home study, and even then, he planned to qualify and then work as a mate if he could. But all that aside, yes, it was a very, very silly mistake to make and a harsh lesson to learn. I hope others learn from it. Best wishes and thanks.

I really feel for you and your husband and sadly this only exposes the mess we are in with this 5 week training schemes also did you ay them via credit card or bank card as my understanding is you may get compensated through this.

Thank you. There are 93 people on the bringtradequalified2justice Facebook group that I can see, so seems a lot of people genuinely thought that enrolling with Trade Qualified/ Train A Trade would get them somewhere in life. Of course, if we all knew what we know now... Bank transfer, unfortunately. So we are obviously going through the liquidation process like everyone else. We, and all those who were signed up and left out of pocket, are now £5k down, and that has taught us a big lesson. However, Trade Qualified are now able to just open up as Train A Trade and carry on as normal. I just want to stop other families going through the same thing. I know we will never see our money again. But I would urge anyone to go through a reputable college rather than gamble your life savings.

I'd find out where they are based and go there? For 5grand I'd travel anywhere to get back!! I'd wanna meet the boss who's decision it is to NOT give it to me.... 2 mins alone with him I'd guarantee I'd walk out happy ;)

I'd find out where they are based and go there? For 5grand I'd travel anywhere to get back!! I'd wanna meet the boss who's decision it is to NOT give it to me.... 2 mins alone with him I'd guarantee I'd walk out happy ;)

Or you could get placards made up and stand outside their premises and at the same time make it public knowledge through facebook twitter and the web without being malicious in other words please be advised the XXXXXX used to be YYYYY and have left 100 high and dry

Reply to ATL/Trade qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net