Discuss Automotive electrical wiring help LED bar in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Flam98

DIY
Reaction score
Baja wiring harness LED light help.

I've fitted a US Baja harness on my Australian FJ, but I need to replace the Baja harness switch setup so that I can comply with A.U requirements for forward facing L.E.Ds. Australian road law requires a forward-facing L.E.D can only come on when the vehicle’s high beam switch is on, and it may only be used off-road. Along with being switched on when high beam is on, the L.E.D has to be separately switched so that it can be turned off when the vehicle is driving on sealed roads under normal conditions when high beam lights are on.

I've wired in the Baja harness so that it works as the Baja harness was provided. The Baja harness comes with two switches, an on-off toggle switch, and an on-off button switch. The toggle switch provides power to the button switch, and the button switch (when powered) turns the L.E.D on and off.

I have an aftermarket Lightforce switch for my Toyota.

The Baja harness toggle switch has three wires, and they are power, load and ground. The button switch has a power-in and ground wire that is shared with (joins to) the ground wire from the Toggle switch.

To help I have provided numbers for these wires, and they are: 1: Power, 2: Load and 3: Ground - from the toggle switch. 4. and 5. connect to each side of the on-off button switch, where one of these two wires is the 12 volt supply and the other side is ground.

In Australia an L.E.D bar can only be activated by the high beam. The L.E.D also has to have a separate on-off switch. I purchased a Lightforce switch to act as the on-off switch. Typically the L.E.D would be off, only being used for off-road, so when normal (highway) driving the LED will not come on when high beams are turned on.

The image below show the Baja harnesses Toggle switch. It’s an on-off switch that provides power to a button switch on the harness (next image). The toggle switch is rated 30 amps.

20221222_140652[3].jpg

The image below shows the harness with both the toggle switch and button switch. When on the toggle switch provides power to the button switch which in turn turns the LED on or off. The button switch and toggle switch share a common ground.

20221222_140657[5].jpg

I’ve run a wire from the high beam wire at the headlight into the vehicle. The wire is 0v until headlights are on and its then showing 13v.

20221222_140717[6].jpg

Lastly, below is the lightforce switch, Green power in, Red power to accessory, second red - power for switches illumination from dash, and black - ground.
BBB-20221215_100705.jpg

I've tried to do a few 'workarounds' that have been suggested to me but nothing works, so I am asking becasue I am stumped.

Attachments

• Baja wiring harness LED light help.docx
    467.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Baja wiring harness LED light help.pdf
    489.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Reply to Automotive electrical wiring help LED bar in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net