Discuss B12 Sentra - strange accessory circuit failure in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

My problem is thus: I own an '88 Nissan Sentra in which all the electricals were working fine.
I received some 12v LED strips in a delivery which I would like to install as daytime running lights.
In order to test whether the running voltage of the car would be suitable, I attempted to power one of these LED strips through a PWM dimmer to which I connected alligator clips. I connected the other ends of the clips to the dome light terminals and attempted to turn on the LED, to no avail, in either polarity.

After this, I noticed that a bunch of things had started not working. The dome light, clock, and radio all turned off. Interesting, the clock will power on if the dome light switch is in one position, while in another position, the door warning light flashes very faintly.
I have checked every relevant fuse and there are none blown. I can't see any relays under the hood which would control the accessories.
My only guess is that I somehow overheated and melted two wires together by inadvertently applying a voltage to the door sensor circuit.

Any ideas what to check, how to further diagnose and fix this? Very disappointed to have ----ed it up thusly but there must be a solution.

TL;DR
I tried connected an LED array to my dome light terminals, and instead of powering it, my accessory circuitry stopped working and seems to be shorted in some location.
Problem averted, it was a fuse that had blown. Clearly I had wired the radio to the dome light circuit and not checked the right one. I replaced the 10A fuse with a 15A since it is running both the light and the head unit.

Reply to B12 Sentra - strange accessory circuit failure in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net