uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Bathroom fan and light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ian hall

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

If you had to change a bathroom light fitting for another (assume correct zone rating) and had to fit an extractor fan(230v)at the same time, would you fit an rcd. Seems to me it,s try and fit an rcbo or an rcd spur or none of the above!!! Obviously the bathroom firm want the lowest invoice possible.

Ian

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
M

Mike P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
under the new regs rcd is a must but you also need a isolator for servicing and maintenance

I

ian hall

I would allways have fitted a 3 pole fan isolator it just seems alien fitting an rcd for a fan!
The Niceic say that an rcd would not be needed if the light fitting "only" were being changed but the new wiring for the fan will need a minor works which in turn will require an rcd. All agree with that?

Ian

M

Mike P

I agree but if you move the light fitting you need an RCD

I

ian hall

So, what do you reckon. Alter the wiring and put an rcd spur in the airing cupboard to cover lights and fan. That would also be means of isolation for the fan ie no need for a 3 pole.

B

bahco

either do what you just said or fit a tp fan isolator and change the mcb for a rcbo, whichever is cheapest and easiest if thats what the customer wants

D

DYCHE4230

or if split board could you not move upstairs lighting circuit over to rcd side of board????

A

andy pandy

You will need to fit a 3 pole isolation switch if the fan has a tmer fitted so that you can isolate the feed, switch wire & the neutral . If you are just fitting a fan without run on timer do it as you said.

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
You will need to fit a 3 pole isolation switch if the fan has a tmer fitted so that you can isolate the feed, switch wire & the neutral . If you are just fitting a fan without run on timer do it as you said.
Does not matter if it has a run on timer or not should fit an isolater next to it anyway.

Besides all of that if you are going to work on the fan you should isolate it at the DB before commencing any work.

I

ian hall

The rcd spur would isolate the fan too.

S

stevie h

The rcd spur would isolate the fan too.
Not if its a timer fan , as you have to take permanent L , RCD fuse spare will be fine on a standard fan , but you will need to put in a fan isolator sw as well as RCD protection if you are fitting a timer/humidistat fan .

Ste :)

I

ian hall

Crossed wires!!!!
The feed would go into the spur then to the light-regular 3 plate connection/timer fan. So all is controlled by spur. Probably best to fit 3 pole too though in case they want light but not the fan

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Bathroom fan and light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom