Discuss Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Pal I’m in same category as you with having a couple of months savings and a child at home with Crohn’s disease so making him very high risk.
Do you know if it’s possible to wind up a business with hmrc then claim benefits for 4 months then restart business
Don't wind anything up yet, wait until the bill is released by government to see what support you can get. A lot of companies may sadly go belly up during this meaning more work for the rest of us.

There'll be plenty of telecoms work after this as the network will need serious upgrades in capacity as companies realise it's cheaper and more efficient to have people working from home. That means lots of work coming in.

But this morning the chancellor said at least end of april. Wtf are they playing at

Possibly till the funds are received by the self employed person? I've read the scheme will be announced at the governments press conference tomorrow, so should have at least some detail then.
[automerge]1585146915[/automerge]
Section 2 here says carry on as normal pretty much. If you can stand the wrath of the Facebook police that is.

Click here

If they try to use their irresponsible advice as a tool to avoid payment to tradesmen then my response will be that the customers cancelled all my work for me leaving me unemployed.

Not sure how far that will run but I'll fight for help for sure.

Unfortunately, the system already has rules built into it to cover for the situation of the self-employed "deciding" to become "voluntarily" unemployed.

Possibly till the funds are received by the self employed person? I've read the scheme will be announced at the governments press conference tomorrow, so should have at least some detail then.
[automerge]1585146915[/automerge]
Section 2 here says carry on as normal pretty much. If you can stand the wrath of the Facebook police that is.

Click here

Wonder if this is a wiggle out for them... as nobody wants us in their homes at the mo rightly so

I would guess they’ll be money coming....tied to previous tax returns taken at your word If and when this is all over if what you’ve declared things doesn’t tally up they’ll want a percentage back from you much like self assessment works at present except they will check the figures.....they realistically look at 5 million plus people’s returns for the last few years at the present...

Wonder if this is a wiggle out for them... as nobody wants us in their homes at the mo rightly so

This is the point I've been wondering. Right now, they aren't telling us to stop working, they've given us the green light to work and as such there is no reason for us to be claiming the financial support.

Were gonna get nothing, weve now been told if we cant work from home then we should go to work, I'm lucky at the moment I've got a small building site I'm on but theres only a couple of weeks left there, and theyve already scared off all the domestic trade

I appreciate a lot of people are facing hardship its affecting us also, but there is a flip side to only getting 80% of wages or whatever the Gov't decide to give the self employed/ employed to stay home which may be better than some alternatives

Those who are classed as key workers like my Wife and I are continuing to work for our normal wage unless we get ill
She works for NHS in operating theatres which are being converted into ICU wards and She will be in contact with severe cases

Not as bad for me, working from home on call, going all over the country in the food industry for customers employing Eastern European's where so far I'm not seeing any measures being enforced at all, if it gets into those places they/We are all going to be sick very quickly.
Maybe not as risky as going to supermarkets for a spot of panic buying though!

There's the smell of lots of Govt money in the air and production is being ramped up and common sense is being ignored greed is going to override for some

We're not going to see much of each other or our kids over the next few months and We both will have a higher chance of contracting this virus potentially affecting our kids and other elderly family members who are isolating and to a degree relying on us for help

We could and maybe should stay at home for 80% wages and isolate ourselves just in case, most of the population are going to be ill at some point, A lot of people I know have told me they are doing this they see it as a few months off work. ( not suggesting people here are doing this)

But it would be good to finish a few jobs at home spend some time with the Mrs and kids and enjoy the weather when its nice albeit at a restricted level

But just think where the Country will end up if all people tagged as key workers do this
The Emergency and Armed forces for example

Back in 2008, the government of the day was very quick off the mark to offer financial bailouts totalling £500 billion to the banks. By contrast, help for the self-employed isn't happening with the same determination and haste. Just saying.
They are currently trying to work out how to help the self employed... it's not as easy as you might think. Remember that government normally works very very slowly, so getting something agreed within a few weeks is extremely rapid for them... for us it still seems very slow.

The 2008 situation was entirely different... there is no comparison. The bank funding was in effect a loan and if a major bank collapsed it would have had serious consequences for millions of people across the world for years and years.

Attachments

• 1585209737044.png
    410 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The Chancellor is announcing the packages later this afternoon on T.V

That's good, but I like to see things written in black an white on an official document before believing them.
Politicians say a lot of things in press conferences that sort of resemble the truth but aren't quite exactly true.

Plus I don't have a TV.

I met a few people now that choose not to have a tv and they get hounded relentlessly by the licensing people, is it the same for you @davesparks?

At my previous house I received a letter approximately once a month stating that an active investigation had been opened and their inspectors are in the area. The first one arrived a few days after I moved in, the previous tenant did watch TV without a licence.
3 years later I moved out and was still receiving the same letters telling me that they would be knocking on my door within a few weeks if I didn't pay.

Since moving house my other half has taken care of it and we haven't actually had any bother from them.

Reply to Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net