• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Best LED Downlighter for bathroom with white tiles in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All,

We've moved into a new build property and our bathroom, which has glossy white with a hint of grey speckle Porclenosa tiles, is looking a bit dull which I believe is the result of the downlighters. We have 3 x 7.9W, 38 degrees, 3000K downlighters in the bathroom and they seem to be creating a lot of shadows that make the grout appear to be dark and really doesn't show of the tiles to their best.

Would it be best to replace with something 'cooler'? larger beam width maybe?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Aico 3000 Range

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Trial and error with colour temperatures and the light they give off

Are the downlights GU10 lamps or all in one units? Sometimes the all in ones have a little switch you can change the light from warm white to cool white to daylight white.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'd be going for a 4000k light if you are not happy with the current ones. It's what I fit as standard for all downlights.

I know there are downlights that give up to 60 degree beam angle, but I don't usually have any issues with the ones I fit at 46 degrees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks @littlespark, the units are all in one, but from what I can tell there's no switch. And as they were supplied by a large builder I'd expect them to be on the cheaper side, so probably not switchable.

Thanks @Andy78, maybe I'll give a few 4000K ones a go and see what they look like.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Most of the ones I’ve seen have a little switch accessible behind the decorative bezel. Magnetic hold or a slight anti-clockwise twist to remove.

There’s another make I know has the switch on top.... so you have to remove fitting from ceiling to find it.

Power off, and watch your fingers for the spring. It’s like a mousetrap going off

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Personally, I like daylight white, kitchen and bathroom. I like to see what's going on, but I think I am in a minority with this colour choice.

As for shadows...
I use Touche Eclat by YSL...

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Personally, I like daylight white, kitchen and bathroom. I like to see what's going on, but I think I am in a minority with this colour choice.

As for shadows...
I use Touche Eclat by YSL...
i'm in same minority. cool white or daylight for kitchen.

GBDamo

-
Supporter
Bear in mind the French have found that cool white led lamps are causing retina damage.
Is this just the French or France or French LEDs?

As an Englishman am I immune?

Are French lamps in English fittings a concern?

Is it all that French Nuclear electricity that causes it?

I'm concerned.

GBDamo

-
Supporter
Bear in mind the French have found that cool white led lamps are causing retina damage.
Is this just the French or France or French LEDs?

As an Englishman am I immune?

Are French lamps in English fittings a concern?

Is it all that French Nuclear electricity that causes it?

I'm concerned.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I think more info is needed here. One manufacturer's cool white is another's daylight. I have seen cool white described as anything between 4000k and 6500k

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Best LED Downlighter for bathroom with white tiles in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom