Discuss Best LED Downlighter for bathroom with white tiles in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Scatts

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've moved into a new build property and our bathroom, which has glossy white with a hint of grey speckle Porclenosa tiles, is looking a bit dull which I believe is the result of the downlighters. We have 3 x 7.9W, 38 degrees, 3000K downlighters in the bathroom and they seem to be creating a lot of shadows that make the grout appear to be dark and really doesn't show of the tiles to their best.

Would it be best to replace with something 'cooler'? larger beam width maybe?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Trial and error with colour temperatures and the light they give off

Are the downlights GU10 lamps or all in one units? Sometimes the all in ones have a little switch you can change the light from warm white to cool white to daylight white.

I'd be going for a 4000k light if you are not happy with the current ones. It's what I fit as standard for all downlights.

I know there are downlights that give up to 60 degree beam angle, but I don't usually have any issues with the ones I fit at 46 degrees.

Thanks @littlespark, the units are all in one, but from what I can tell there's no switch. And as they were supplied by a large builder I'd expect them to be on the cheaper side, so probably not switchable.

Thanks @Andy78, maybe I'll give a few 4000K ones a go and see what they look like.

Most of the ones I’ve seen have a little switch accessible behind the decorative bezel. Magnetic hold or a slight anti-clockwise twist to remove.

There’s another make I know has the switch on top.... so you have to remove fitting from ceiling to find it.

Power off, and watch your fingers for the spring. It’s like a mousetrap going off

I've fitted quite a few Luceco FType Fixed Fire Rated LED Downlight White 600lm 6W 220-240V - https://www.screwflix..com/p/luceco-ftype-fixed-fire-rated-led-downlight-white-600lm-6w-220-240v/7046t
Including at home. No complaints yet...

Bear in mind the French have found that cool white led lamps are causing retina damage.

Personally, I like daylight white, kitchen and bathroom. I like to see what's going on, but I think I am in a minority with this colour choice.

As for shadows...
I use Touche Eclat by YSL...

Personally, I like daylight white, kitchen and bathroom. I like to see what's going on, but I think I am in a minority with this colour choice.

As for shadows...
I use Touche Eclat by YSL...
i'm in same minority. cool white or daylight for kitchen.

Bear in mind the French have found that cool white led lamps are causing retina damage.
Is this just the French or France or French LEDs?

As an Englishman am I immune?

Are French lamps in English fittings a concern?

Is it all that French Nuclear electricity that causes it?

I'm concerned.

Is this just the French or France or French LEDs?

As an Englishman am I immune?

Are French lamps in English fittings a concern?

Is it all that French Nuclear electricity that causes it?

I'm concerned.

I think more info is needed here. One manufacturer's cool white is another's daylight. I have seen cool white described as anything between 4000k and 6500k

Reply to Best LED Downlighter for bathroom with white tiles in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock