Discuss Best/ most useful charge points on the market in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've not seen a twin zappi 7kw version, not sure if such a thing exists yet! But yes CT clamps will do that, you probably can master one of the points, not sure exactly how as there are so many options within the menus.
@Gavin John Hyde would be a good shout he is into his EV and has probably had experience with a lot more manufacturers than I have.
Bit late to the party on this as I have been flat out with pv and batteyr installs last month or so.
You wont get a double socket zappi but to be honest a single zappi will suffice, all new cars in uk.eu have a type 32 and that is not going to change anytime over the next few decades.
You can set 2 zappis to be in a group and load balance via group limit. with one as master second charger as slave. its quite technical trying to explain here but its in the myenergi manuals and wiki. a quick call to the tech line will get have them set up in no time. I have recently fitted 2 zappis on a 40A supply. 1 can have 32 but if both charging then they split the available load.
Having done it a lot its hard to explain as the fingers sort of work in auto pilot mode when going through menus.
The important bit is to have the ct clamps hardwired and not using harvi devices as the group setting and G100 and dno bits would then not be compliant.
within the linked devices section you can set min and max power for each linked device

The home charger isn’t going to be a problem. They have internet access there… but the aviemore lodge doesn’t.

Does some of these come with a mobile sim? Then there’s mobile coverage to think of.

I can see he’s planning for the future, when really neither my FIL or MIL should be driving with their various health issues… we’ll all have EV in the coming years.. and if two family households are using the lodge, we’ll both need to charge.

I guess I’ll be wanting same at my own house sometime…. When I get an electric van, and an electric car capable of towing a caravan.

The home charger isn’t going to be a problem. They have internet access there… but the aviemore lodge doesn’t.

Does some of these come with a mobile sim? Then there’s mobile coverage to think of.

I can see he’s planning for the future, when really neither my FIL or MIL should be driving with their various health issues… we’ll all have EV in the coming years.. and if two family households are using the lodge, we’ll both need to charge.

I guess I’ll be wanting same at my own house sometime…. When I get an electric van, and an electric car capable of towing a caravan.
You could get in use mobile broadband / dongles to power the wifi connection... it will work without wifi but is not strictly speaking compliant if you get my drift

Have you considered the new ohme socket based charger for the lodge? it has built in 4g/4g sim for comms and is actually quite a nice unit. if fitting the ct clamp for load management you will need to hardwire it and run cat5e/ev ultra but worth considering

This is what I was thinking.

Does the smart part of the charge point really need internet access?
Ok… if you’re at the same place, and on the same Wi-Fi network.. you can monitor and change settings with your phone…. But if you’re away from home without the car… you don’t need to be constantly reminded how it’s doing.
Wait until you get back.

I suppose it will be so it can get software updates.

Conspiracy theory ahead
Or is it so the charge point manufacturer can hack your Wi-Fi and listen in on your conversations?

I’ll give him prices for single or duel socket, and let him decide to put a duel in now, or a single, and add another single in a couple of years.

Project EV being the only one that the wholesaler tells me does a duel outlet at £1350 ex vat

This is what I was thinking.

Does the smart part of the charge point really need internet access?
Ok… if you’re at the same place, and on the same Wi-Fi network.. you can monitor and change settings with your phone…. But if you’re away from home without the car… you don’t need to be constantly reminded how it’s doing.
Wait until you get back.

I suppose it will be so it can get software updates.

Conspiracy theory ahead
Or is it so the charge point manufacturer can hack your Wi-Fi and listen in on your conversations?

I’ll give him prices for single or duel socket, and let him decide to put a duel in now, or a single, and add another single in a couple of years.

Project EV being the only one that the wholesaler tells me does a duel outlet at £1350 ex vat
you could look at the rolec dual outlet units such as securicharge, the domestic units are not very good in my view but the commercial units are good

Just seen the rolec zura… which look nicer than the wall pod, and the boxy securicharge commercial unit
Also comes with duel outlets.

Do you use the special EV cables for supplies?
The home install can be routed through the garage, so t&e in minitrunking… and the lodge; Possibly swa and flexi conduit for the cat5.
The cost for a few metres of the combined power and data cable is huge compared with same in swa and separate data.

Just seen the rolec zura… which look nicer than the wall pod, and the boxy securicharge commercial unit
Also comes with duel outlets.

Do you use the special EV cables for supplies?
The home install can be routed through the garage, so t&e in minitrunking… and the lodge; Possibly swa and flexi conduit for the cat5.
The cost for a few metres of the combined power and data cable is huge compared with same in swa and separate data.
Can buy toughened cat5e / direct burial cat5e to run in parallel with the power, its ~£30 for 100m on amazon etc...
then use whatever power cable you fancy

I spoke to FIL today about what was required and the limit of choice for 2 outlet units, so he's now said, just one outlet, but make it simple to use..... maybe a keypad and a PIN number to use it....

I don't think any have keypads, just RF card/keyfobs, which might also work.

Can the same keyfobs be used for more than one charge point, as he wants one at the house, and one at the lodge in Aviemore... So the aviemore one can be used by any of the family once we get electric cars?

No internet up at the lodge, so i think i read one comes with a free 4G sim card. Will need to check coverage, its a pretty bad blind spot at the best of times. He tried having a Smart meter fitted, but it didnt work.

ive been reading up on this website, Best EV Chargers 2023 | Charger Rankings Table – Top Charger - https://topcharger.co.uk/charger-power-rankings/

and come to the conclusion that the Hypervolt Home 2.0 would do the job.

At home, it can connect to the wifi, and choose to use the solar PV....
For the lodge, where there is no internet, i can add a 4G dongle.... (depending on signal coverage)

It doesnt have the PIN number lock or rf security that i can see, but i might be wrong there.

edit:

try searching for "hypervolt"... im getting a thousand adverts for a massage gun

Last edited:
Conversation on another thread about notifying the DNO after install... (its not a big one where its notify BEFORE install) and there was some disagreement about whether to bother notifying at all.

I would say, yes... we have to. To allow the dno to plan future infrastructure improvement works against projected demand... But i also brought up the argument that Screwfix sell the Project EV to joe bloggs to fit themselves DIY.... would they know to inform DNO? Is it in the installation manual?

One member even said they didn't, and knew other electricians that didn't... so is not informing the dno going to come bite us on the butt in a couple of years? (the charge point manufacturer must know where their units are fitted for warranty registration, so that can be checked against the dno list)

Can someone explain to me what all this 'smart' stuff is about in relation to EV charge points. I can understand that those that are into electric vehicles might be into all sorts of smart toys but I gather that it is now compulsory for any new point installed. What's the advantage of the point being 'smart'?
I don't have an electric vehicle myself, but I do have a 32A 'dumb' Rolec charge point, which has an i3 plugged into it at the moment. It's not charging yet, but at midnight it will, controlled by an app on the owner's phone. The same will happen when a Tesla 3 comes here next month.
The cars are 'smart' and communicate with their owners' phones, so why does the charge point need to be smart as well?

Reply to Best/ most useful charge points on the market in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net