Discuss Best/ most useful charge points on the market in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
My FIL announces he's just bought a brand new hybrid Volvo, getting it in April.... Rather than speaking to me first, he's told the salesman his son in law, (ie me) will install a charge point for it.

Can anyone recommend the best charge point available, and more importantly, an easy to use one.

Another question, He may decide in the future to upgrade to full electric, and/or buy a second car... so do they come with 2 outlets.... and then can they be programmed to charge one car on priority over the other, rather than both at the same time.... ?

Does supplier need notified now? Its a biggish house, but gas CH...no electric shower. no current high loads apart from oven.

CT clamps to monitor tails, does having PV affect that during the day? PV comes off Henley blocks into a garage board, not off a breaker in the main DB

I would say myenergi zappi but I'm really bias as they are my go to charger. Not the cheapest but I have only ever had 1 go faulty and myenergi sent me the replacement parts and paid me for my time to fix it! Plenty of room inside nice to look at. Their technical support is absolutely spot on too!
Failing that Project EV, slightly cheaper, not so pleasing to the eye but a reasonable unit all in all.
Or sync EV if you want something really small, although I wasn't overly happy with the space for cables inside these it was incredibly tight with a 6mm cable.

The zappi and project EV can be used with solar and will require ct clamps but it will help with the charging costs! Not sure on the sync but most now have the option.
Sy

Smallest I've fitted is 100kw but for domestic ones I've seen a lot of people fitting zappi and yet to hear complaints. Seen a lot of chargepoint ones also but about 90% have caused continuous issues.

@MJPD29 Cor blimy 100kw, are they the direct DC points and sounds interesting!
I fit mainly the 22kw zappi units but the last have been doing single phase 7kw. Nothing that exciting!
Sy

Having a look at MyEnergi Zappi just now... So for a 32A, single phase 7kW... probably tethered, so they don't lose the lead.....

CEF are coming in £80 cheaper than from Myenergi direct... That doesnt seem right??

Project EV are available on Screwfix though, with a much quicker delivery time.... (not getting the car 'til April, so not of huge importance)

Do either of these need an earth rod nowadays? Concrete driveway, don't fancy digging a hole where i know there's water and drains... and possibly mains supply cable

Check zappi data sheet but fairly sure it doesn't require a rod. Not sure about others.
PEN fault detection and disconnection is incorporated into the Zappi. Same with Project EV (at least if it has PME in the model number).

Don't forget manufacturer's declaration of conformity.

I got a phone call from him last night… he’s drove up to his lodge in aviemore….

“If we get a double charger for the house… can you put another one up here?”

So the next question is, do any of these work without full internet access?
I can put in a hub without the internet access so that we can still link the charge point with a phone?

The lodge has its own electric supply, at least a 60A fuse…. Not off the sites installation.

I got a phone call from him last night… he’s drove up to his lodge in aviemore….

“If we get a double charger for the house… can you put another one up here?”

So the next question is, do any of these work without full internet access?
I can put in a hub without the internet access so that we can still link the charge point with a phone?

The lodge has its own electric supply, at least a 60A fuse…. Not off the sites installation.
I believe zappi doesn't actually require Internet access

Yes the zappi con work without internet, it does use it for updates to software though.
If you only have a 60a supply then I would use a harvi to control the two points so they don't end up using all the supply capacity. Although you can set a maximum current limit in the charger to stop them taking the cut out fuse out if both get used together!

Yes the zappi con work without internet, it does use it for updates to software though.
If you only have a 60a supply then I would use a harvi to control the two points so they don't end up using all the supply capacity. Although you can set a maximum current limit in the charger to stop them taking the cut out fuse out if both get used together!
This is what i was wondering....

CT clamps will keep them from pulling too much, but with a dual unit... (2 cars plugged in at once into the same unit) Can one be set as priority, and the second one kick in when the first is at 90% or whatever.... or say, charge car 1 for 6 hours, then car 2 for 2 hours. ???

Might not be so easy with 2 x individual units

I've not seen a twin zappi 7kw version, not sure if such a thing exists yet! But yes CT clamps will do that, you probably can master one of the points, not sure exactly how as there are so many options within the menus.
@Gavin John Hyde would be a good shout he is into his EV and has probably had experience with a lot more manufacturers than I have.

Reply to Best/ most useful charge points on the market in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net