Discuss Best route to retrain into electrician route, having done site work. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m a rope access technician having worked on and around building sites for the past 7 years. I’ve carried out a wide variety of tasks and are competent on the tools.

I’m wanting to retrain as a spark, from doing some research it seems a c and g course level 2/3 then get work with a firm to fill out the portfolio and then sit AM2 is the way?
College evening course is the way I’m going to have to do it.
Do any of you have spots open for free labour in order to build up some experience?
Any info or opinions welcome as I’m sure this is asked a thousand times etc I’m keen and want to make a genuine career change.

cheers

Joining a local college to do your C&Glevel 2 +3 on evenings is the best way really mate and Working as a mate to get experience will also be beneficial whilst your training.
Cheers for getting back to me dude, yeah I assumed as much. I’m a little confused with the different quals as well.
Going down domestic work only what’s the criteria to be able to sign off your own work and then do inspections and test?.

I’m OCD and take pride in what I do, going the extra mile to make sure the jobs done and right it’s part of me a worker which I think will translate across to electrical work well. I’m not going in blind or think I can do some courses and come out competent I’ll need real world experience and excited to do that and learn.

again cheers for the help dude.

Your going the right way about it mate, doing a few courses doesnt make you an electrician of any worth, experience is needed and the seasoned sparks would agree that every day is a school day.

In order to sign off your own work you would need to get your C&G 2391 and 18th. But before you can do the 2391 you would be expected to already have the level 2 +3 and some real world experience of testing.

Reply to Best route to retrain into electrician route, having done site work. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net