Discuss blue fuse 15A fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

have a 6 way consumer unit with 3 white (6 amp) cartridges - upstairs lights, downstairs lights and porch light; 2 red (30 amp) cartridges - ring for both upstairs and downstairs and a cooker radial. The combi boiler is a fused 3 amp spur ( i think off the ring ). There are no outside lights and no garage, the house is a small 2- bed about 30 years old. So what is the blue 15 amp fuse for? Have taken it out and been round the house checking for what is no longer working and can't find anything:mad:. It is connected to a cable and has fuse wire in it.

could have been supply to immersion heater in airing cupboard,either not used now,or sometimes used to feed combi via fsu,so take a look in airing cupboard if there is one.

There is a small cupboard upstairs above the stairwell, but no signs of any wiring or sign that there has been a hot water tank/ immersion heater in there. I wondered whether 30 years ago they would have put in a separate radial circuit to a bathroom radiant heater?

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of the time it was immersion feed,
Whats the job? if it was me and lets say it was cu change and i cant find any thing not working i would leave if disconnected and explain this to the customer, chances are some plumber will have taped it up under a floorboard somewhere and i would rather go back if the customer finds something not working than leave it live.

Whats the job? if it was me and lets say it was cu change and i cant find any thing not working i would leave if disconnected and explain this to the customer, chances are some plumber will have taped it up under a floorboard somewhere and i would rather go back if the customer finds something not working than leave it live.

Well said ;)

the exact problem - thanks lister. How would you leave the disconnected cable ?(at the CU end)

the exact problem - thanks lister. How would you leave the disconnected cable ?(at the CU end)

Could you terminate in a terminal block and then fasten this into a Chocbox, will this fit inside the CU?

If not I have been taught that a safe way to make ends safe is to split the cable to about 1 inch and cut off the earth. The about halfway back towards the end cut off the Neutral and then tape the end 1.5 inches. This will prevent the three wires ever touching. Also if it going to be kept inside the CU it should be pretty safe.

I know you don't really need to make that end safe but I would always be wary and do this just in case.

Reply to blue fuse 15A fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock