Discuss Bodging a touch current and protective conductor current test with a MFT in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buttonmoon

Hello

I have been asked to do a bunch of pat testing and I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone has an idea about.
I have a Fluke MFT and a clamp meter and have built myself a socket lead which allows me to plug an appliance directly in to my tester. This allows me to do IR with line and neutral linked. I can do earth continuity on class 1 equipment with a probe and alligator on to the earth pin on the plug and an exposed metal part. I am planning to build a earth leakage tester by removing the earth from a short extension lead and coiling it 10 times to amplify the signal and clamping on to the coiled cable. I believe this will work and for class 2 equipment (and this is where it could be getting sketchy) I am thinking of coiling the live and neutral around 10 times (in the same direction) and I think that this should detect and amplify any imbalance so that an ordinary clamp meter can detect it. The alternative would be to dissect an RCD and amplify that signal to test, but I think the first option would achieve the same result. All thoughts welcome.

Just a thought, if someone goes ffutt after you have tested an appliance you may have difficulty proving 1) your equipment works 2) it is safe 3) it is suitably calibrated. Standing in Court being harranged by a Barrister is not a nice place to be even if you do know what you're doing, cos the Barrister will just say " PROVE IT ".

Reply to Bodging a touch current and protective conductor current test with a MFT in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net