Discuss Bog down on circuit but pick up on other in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I live in a duplex with an old Murray split bus panel. The issues I'm having atm are I have stove top but no digital oven controls. My dryer will just hum and dim lights. And my washer, fridge, microwave, and toaster will all bug down if I try to use them and dim the lights. But on another circuit at the same time will pick up. For example in the livingroom the box fan will go into hell yeah mode. I have the dryer on a 50 double the stove on a 50double and the main lighting on a 50double. The water tank is on a 30double.i have ground to service and a ground to water line. All outlets read fine untill a heavy loads put on. Idk wth to do

Sounds like an open or poor connection on the neutral, possibly even your incoming supply, as USA often has split-phase arrangements (120-0-120V). Hopefully some of our USA folks can comment.
[automerge]1600078236[/automerge]
The safest advice is to get a professional electrician in to look at it, more so if it involves your incoming supply. Mistakes with that can end very badly. Also before you do anything yourself check if your house insurance would permit it.

I live in a duplex with an old Murray split bus panel. The issues I'm having atm are I have stove top but no digital oven controls. My dryer will just hum and dim lights. And my washer, fridge, microwave, and toaster will all bug down if I try to use them and dim the lights. But on another circuit at the same time will pick up. For example in the livingroom the box fan will go into hell yeah mode. I have the dryer on a 50 double the stove on a 50double and the main lighting on a 50double. The water tank is on a 30double.i have ground to service and a ground to water line. All outlets read fine untill a heavy loads put on. Idk wth to do
Silbuagh it sounds to me like your problem is in your panel, possibly a loose connection. I have been called to go out and troubleshoot problems similar to yours and with the old murray Panels and I’m sure that you need to have your service upgraded. Over time the main breaker is bad about breaking down from the stabs in the back where it is attached and you have 1 phase trying to carry all the loads. Hire an electrician to further advise you

Yes it does sound like a bad neutral connection. Get it fixed now, because when one leg can go way over 120V and kill the appliances connected to it.

Reply to Bog down on circuit but pick up on other in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net