Currently reading:
Bonding clamp for steelwork

Discuss Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dg2908

I need to bond an installation in a sectional building. The structure is made from several I-Beam arches joined by timber purlins so I need to bond each arch. I can't find these clamps mentioned much online, are they just called "I beam bonding clamps" or do I need to ask for something else?

There is one separate piece of steel in the building that supports the side of a gate - this is steel box section - how would people normally bond box section without drilling it?

Regarding the welding of structural as I recall you need to be fully competent in welding to structural work as a poor weld or even an incorrectly position weld can weaken the metal ... it also applies when cutting off unused sections with the old acetylene set-up ... if the metal heats up too much it can do alot of damage to its integrity.
Its sometimes the better option to drill but has others have pointed out - if in doubt get a Structural Engineer in.

Darkwood step away from the Drill

maxresdefault.jpg

I drilled and tapped an 8mm hole in the steelwork of an industrial warehouse unit a few years ago.

The building was built in the 1940's as a munitions factory. Seeing as it was built to stand up to the Dorniers, Heinkels and Junkers it didn't worry me a great deal, to be truthful.

LOL ... joking aside if any 'I' steels are under so much stress you can't pop a <10mm hole in the centre third of the web then you really want to be getting out of the building, older builds are massively over compensated for their structural integrity but the new architech flamboyant designs that are cost cutting at every corner that you should think twice about.

Oh and those sweat shops that are built on a shoestring and always keep falling down because they add extra floors without assessment.

Which is all well and good until the next person comes along and just pops another 10mm hole through.
It is safer to forbid the practice.

One of the joys of working for multinationals is if I needed a structural engineer I only had to make a phone call.

A bit on the expensive side for a few studs but a nice idea.

As I said I’d get one of the welders to attach 12mm bolts to the inside of the web where it’s out of harms way. These bolts would be positioned on the stanchions where there was to be cable ladders attached.

Reply to Bonding clamp for steelwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock