Discuss bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Agree with Mac, however, i would bond the gas where visible where it comes up through the floor.

"within 600mm or where practicable".

agree.. it needs to be accessable for inspection.if buried under a carpet,or got forbid wooden flooring,you will not be able to prove its bonded correctly on a PIR for example.
bond water main from main earth terminal at incomer. and run seperate earths to water main in flats from own DBs;)

so do i bond the gas wer it comes out of the floor boards grandad? this is atleast 4-5 meters from the gas meter outside?

As a niceic qualified supervisor i agree with jason s bond the water and gas where it is visable for furture testing purposes.
600mm is the norm but if you cant achieve this do it as near as possible.

As a niceic qualified supervisor i agree with jason s bond the water and gas where it is visable for furture testing purposes.
600mm is the norm but if you cant achieve this do it as near as possible.
Sorry mate i disagree with that,near as possible to what.It should be 600mm from the point of entry into the property.If you can't get near as possible to point of entry then you should take it back to the main supply.:DWould an Elecsa and Napit supervisor say that too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what chugs is saying is NOT to bond it under the floor.

Have a read of 544.1.2

Clear as mud:D

I think what chugs is saying is NOT to bond it under the floor.

Have a read of 544.1.2

Clear as mud:D
I didn't say that.If you can't earth the gas supply 600mm coming into the property as stated in the regs,i would take an earth connection to the meter itself.Sorry mate,my perrogative;)

so wat u are saying is bond outside the property ?
If you can't get an accessible bond within 600mm from the point of entry to the property,i would take it straight to the meter.That is the way i would do it mate.Mr NICEC said you can bond at the first accessible point from the floorboard.So tell me why i can't bond a gas supply straight behind the cooker if the CU is in the kitchen and the meter is at the other end of the house.No difference:D

Im not sure i can cope anymore

bonding house into 2 flats? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

From experience a house converted into flats it is a requirement to have separate water supply to each flat WRAS regs. As a new supply being plastic throughout including isolation valves is bonding necessary ??? - hope this helps

From experience a house converted into flats it is a requirement to have separate water supply to each flat WRAS regs. As a new supply being plastic throughout including isolation valves is bonding necessary ??? - hope this helps

Yes it is if the plumbing in the flats is all copper.

if the gas meter is on the outside of the house then its got to be bonded 600mm from where it enters the property not where it becomes visable.

I havent checked in the 17th BRB, but there was a get out clause in the 16th regarding distance for bonding, and it was "or a close as practically possible" or words to that effect.

I should have checked as i had to bond a house recently on a CU swap cos it hadnt had any since it was built in 1970 odd. and the nearest i could get was about 8 feet from the meter on the gas without digging up the living room laminate flooring. I just put it as a departure, and i think 8 feet from the meter is a big improvement on the nothing they had before, and running a 10mm green and yellow cable around the outside wasnt going to happen either.

Cheers.........Howard;)

Reply to bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock