Discuss Bonding tray in 18th edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've not yet got a copy or read the 18th ed
But I heard the other day from a young Engineer at work who's doing the course ( his first time doing regs exam) that in the 18th it's compulsory to bond all joins in tray etc

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Yes I thought it might be ...

When he mentioned it I asked him what had changed in regard to this , he just said it was a new requirement and in future we'd probably have to do it.

To be fair he's never used BS7671 so I did think that maybe he's mistaken.

In the job I do, we run tray fixed to steel box section frames (powdercoated) and generally it's the customers responsibility to ensure bonding is suitable to that particular countries regs

ie in China and India they do nothing, but other countries have varying amounts of bonding to frame and tray

One company insists we link every single join in tray and bond repeated intervals to all steelwork so in view of this it's always agreed in the contracts that all power supplies and bonding are carried out by a local contractor

Usually there is no need to either earth or bond traywork. If the cabling is insulated and sheathed, Class 2 equivalent construction, the traywork won't be an exposed conductive part so no earthing required. Traywork doesn't usually introduce an earth potential that isn't already present, so no bonding required.

That being said, inspectors love to snag traywork which isn't earthed or bonded.

Heard that argument a couple of times!

One firm I worked with had us go round checking all the tray on a big job with a long lead and test to show the Clerk that the tray continuity was ok , potential to earth was no worse than sll the metal work around the place etc and that bonding at couple of points was sufficient

Still ended up having his way and bonding every thing even after a Chartered Engineer agreed that it wasn't needed

It makes me wonder what the world these clerks of works and electrical consultants live in the other day I was doing some testing with a contracts manager and the consultant asked if the classroom sink needed bonding they still have in some of these specs about bonding window frames and suspended ceilings.

I've not yet got a copy or read the 18th ed
But I heard the other day from a young Engineer at work who's doing the course ( his first time doing regs exam) that in the 18th it's compulsory to bond all joins in tray etc

Can anyone elaborate on this?
Yes true ,it has to be continuous any cut in the tray will hinder that hence you put another link to make it continuous.

Cables are insulated and sheathed so not an exposed part

Any earth potential is the same as the metal framework and walls that the tray is attached to

So I would say it's neither exposed or extraneous

In this case the whole structure is one big faraday cage
Even where tray joins are bolted together I think there's enough surface area clamped together or fixed to brackets which are fixed via tapped holes all along the length of runs to make the continuity consistent .

I'm going to suggest we test it properly to determine as it's not really black and white whether it does need doing or not
Its all down to how different people decipher the reg
In my post before I said it was neither but it can be argued either way

Well does it introduce a potential to the location it serves?
Is it in good contact to an outside earth at true earth potential?
I doubt it’s going to be extraneous but then I’m not on site.

Is it an exposed conductive part ie does it form part of the electrical installation or is it mearly a support system for the cables ?

Well does it introduce a potential to the location it serves?
Is it in good contact to an outside earth at true earth potential?
I doubt it’s going to be extraneous but then I’m not on site.

Is it an exposed conductive part ie does it form part of the electrical installation or is it mearly a support system for the cables ?
It is a safety precation,it might introduce potential depending on wher and how it is istalled.
I thought by bonding it you are establishing contact with the outside earth

It is a safety precation,it might introduce potential depending on wher and how it is istalled.
I thought by bonding it you are establishing contact with the outside earth
Bonding randomly can create its own hazards
Often when installed the tray supports are fixed to say the metallic structure of the building so are connected to earth that way if the structural frame is bonded by being an extraneous conductive part

Reply to Bonding tray in 18th edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock