Discuss Bored on Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cbr900rr

Hi all,

Im a qualified domestic electrical installer which basically means I paid to pass my 17th Edition, Test and Inspection, part p building regs nearly four years ago. Over the four years I have worked as a self employed subby, run a small team of house bashers with my own van, tools, tester, ECS card and been responsible for large domestic projects which border on the commercial side of electrics.
Too cut a long story short, where do I go from here? I started late in this business and found I could get the mortgage paid with domestic but I'm getting bored of the same thing and with these new laws and umbrella companies trying to suck the life out of you it's become more difficult.

There is is no clear information on how to become a fully qualified spark from where I stand, has anyone else had a similar problem? Or been able to transfer to commercial/ industrial works without having to go back to collage for another 3 years to gain the NVQ level 3?? Taking more courses I would say is the answer, but which do I qualify for? To get a straight answer out of the course provider is difficult as they want you to sign up no matter what, anything to get your had earned cash out of you if you know what I mean!?

Anyways, I feel better now Iv had a good moan. Thanks for listening ha ha ha ha ha!!

All advice and information welcome :confused:

Like above - this would all depend on what training courses you did, you hint at having been a 'Domestic Installer' course which is a very much chopped down version of a full college course to become a recognised electrician.

If this is the case I suspect and I'll leave it to others to comment that you will not be classed competent to do Commercial and Industrial and I don't mean doing simple menial tasks that would be common in domestic like adding sockets circuit etc, design and installation in these area's becomes a whole different level to get it right and even a full 3-4 years apprentice course wouldn't on its own give you the knowledge and knowhow to work in said industry, advance courses in design etc are often required although many try it without and make some very expensive mistakes that I frequently witness.

Yes, I agree..... Domestic installer course basically covers minor works I'm aware of this. To work in special locations and add/ improve circuits I have to be working for a competent person. That's how it's possible for me to rewire and test domestic properties.

darkwood I agree with the comments concerning costly mistakes and taking courses, it's not just about passing an exam I believe experience is just as important. Im hoping there is a stepping stone in some form hence my post. I know plenty of lads who are competent and have qauls coming out the thier holes, but if they are honest don't have the knowledge or confidence to step onto an industrial site and get seriously involved in the decision making. I don't believe I could, but are my current skills and what little qauls I have transferable in any way??

uksparks, course I don't mind:
part P building regs cert which I have not found a use for, not sure if it's recognised if I'm honest.
Lvl 3 award in the Requirements for Electrical Instalation BS7671
BS2392 Test and Inspection

Cheers fellas

Yes, I agree..... Domestic installer course basically covers minor works I'm aware of this. To work in special locations and add/ improve circuits I have to be working for a competent person. That's how it's possible for me to rewire and test domestic properties.

darkwood I agree with the comments concerning costly mistakes and taking courses, it's not just about passing an exam I believe experience is just as important. Im hoping there is a stepping stone in some form hence my post. I know plenty of lads who are competent and have qauls coming out the thier holes, but if they are honest don't have the knowledge or confidence to step onto an industrial site and get seriously involved in the decision making. I don't believe I could, but are my current skills and what little qauls I have transferable in any way??

uksparks, course I don't mind:
part P building regs cert which I have not found a use for, not sure if it's recognised if I'm honest.
Lvl 3 award in the Requirements for Electrical Instalation BS7671
BS2392 Test and Inspection

Cheers fellas

With the above you would only be able to a get Trainee/labourer card from the JIB.

When I started in 1971 that's all I did for 19 years,council house rewiring & site work for the major construction sites.how I actually did it,put up with it,is beyond me.Most probably cause it was a decent wage & paid all the bills.These days working on quality jobs that need a bit of thinking,but to be honest there ain't a lot of real top class work out there.Its all this tray,slap some twin & earth in,& see how rough you can be,if your conscience lets you.

Hi all,

Im a qualified domestic electrical installer which basically means I paid to pass my 17th Edition, Test and Inspection, part p building regs nearly four years ago. Over the four years I have worked as a self employed subby, run a small team of house bashers with my own van, tools, tester, ECS card and been responsible for large domestic projects which border on the commercial side of electrics.
Too cut a long story short, where do I go from here? I started late in this business and found I could get the mortgage paid with domestic but I'm getting bored of the same thing and with these new laws and umbrella companies trying to suck the life out of you it's become more difficult.

There is is no clear information on how to become a fully qualified spark from where I stand, has anyone else had a similar problem? Or been able to transfer to commercial/ industrial works without having to go back to collage for another 3 years to gain the NVQ level 3?? Taking more courses I would say is the answer, but which do I qualify for? To get a straight answer out of the course provider is difficult as they want you to sign up no matter what, anything to get your had earned cash out of you if you know what I mean!?

Anyways, I feel better now Iv had a good moan. Thanks for listening ha ha ha ha ha!!

All advice and information welcome :confused:
I personally think you have done very well, with the limited quals you hold plus coming into the trade quite late, I read lots of guys on here, that would give everything to be in your place now, be satisfied.!

Cbr900rr, I think what I would say is that on paper you have essentially nothing that anyone would recognise as a serious qualification, however if you have been working as you have, you will have clearly gained quite a lot of essential knowledge that relates to the domestic sector.

ill be quite honest, 90% of my work is domestic and I enjoy it.

you can quite quickly and easily complete your NVQ3 through an online portfolio whilst working, you can do this through the forum sponsor XS Training.

If you did that and maybe at the same time did your level 3 inspect and test, the 2394 and 2395 courses, I think you would then be in a better position to know where you want to go.

do you feel confident working on your own and know what you are doing?

I can't really argue with any of the above comments and appreciate the time taken to reply.

uksparks, you have made me think about what I originally stated at the beginning of the post. If I look at it logically then I'm not unhappy working in the domestic sector, I don't like having to rely on others to prove my work after I have completed it as it seems I have to rely on the kindness of others..... If you know what I mean. Arrogant sounding I suppose but I do like to progress and improve myself and because of coming into the trade at 33, feel the pressure to do so.
I am very confident in working on my own and trust my own capabilities. I don't know everything but if there is a problem I'm the type to stay on the job until I figure it out or return the next day with a solution.
I especially like the idea of being in a better position to know where I want to go. Great advice!

7029 dave, thanks...... and to the point. I love it! Maybe I should take the time to enjoy what's been achieved.

Risteard, Simonsline, I can take pernickety. Helps me learn!!

cheers fellas

Dont think the grass is allways greener, i come from mainly commercial to mainly domestic

the late payments, dead-lines, rediculous health and safety rules, un-sociable hours, lots of travelling and generally alot less tea

Big jobs and having to employ others is not the golden ticket to big bucks everyone thinks it is, its just a load more stress, hassle and i earn just as much on my own

Its nice to get an office refurb now and again but nowadays give me domestic anyday of the week

out the door at 730, back home by 4, paid on the day......lovely!

Same here . done commercial and had all the grief about payment etc , the only decent commercial job I had in the past was when I dealt directly with the the company owner and knew him well , domestic is a lot less hassle , easier getting paid and just as if not better rewards ......

Health and Safety is ridiculous , permits , risk assessments , method statements usually all specific too

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of whatever you decide to do with your business I would strongly urge you to go back to college and tackle the courses that deal with the underpinning and essential knowledge every electrical installer should have.

I'm not sure what youre on about, I couldn't be anymore straight forward.

There seems to be a few comments that understand where I'm coming from, fare play to those lads and thanks for anything productive.

Its pretty obvious Iv been doing jobs that I'm not qualified for on paper, but that's what happens when people trust your work and are prepared to give you a chance...... working with good sparks helps as well.

Looks like the jokes on me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Mate - I really didn’t mean to be rude.
It’s just that to get an ECS card you need to be on a course leading to JIB membership.
It’s just occurred to me that could have been different 4 yrs ago, so the joke’s on me.:smile5:

When you do those quick DI courses, one of the ‘benefits’ they try push down your throat at every opportunity is that you may be able to get signed up with a scheme, you’ve made a couple of references to not being able to sign off domestic work. Just strikes me as a little odd that a motivated, experienced chap like yourself didn’t explore that avenue. On the other hand, it’s really none of my business.

I’d like to apologise for saying your post doesn’t add up, and wish you all the very best for the future.

Reply to Bored on Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net