Discuss British Gas Meter Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just been looking at a family members house and electrics; about 2 years ago the Gas Board moved their meter from under the stairs to a box outside. Anyhow they have not run any bonding to the meters new position and have bonded onto a gas pipe not far the original meter position, which is where the CU still is.
Tried calling them this morning and theyre saying they dont know who installed it because it was 2 years ago. Anyhow after being put on hold for 15 mins i hung up. Anyone else ever come across this ?

not as bad as one i came across. instead of bonding the pipe where it entered the building at 12ft.high, they ran the 10mm out with the pipe, then 10m draped across the house wall, no clips anywhere, to the external meter box.

Within 600mm isn't it supposed to be?

British Gas. If you haven't been kept waiting for hours, had multiple attempts over many months to get the simplest of things sorted, been given so much bull shxt to cause a world shortage, been invoiced when you have no relationship with them, you are doing exceptionally well.
You are lucky to have had such a mild experience with them, your dealings with them are very likely to get a lot worse

So is this existing bond still on the gas pipe which is in service.

British Gas. If you haven't been kept waiting for hours, had multiple attempts over many months to get the simplest of things sorted, been given so much bull shxt to cause a world shortage, been invoiced when you have no relationship with them, you are doing exceptionally well.
You are lucky to have had such a mild experience with them, your dealings with them are very likely to get a lot worse
Thats reassuring, thought they would send round that bloke on the adverts with the solar powered van/spacerocket :flagstick:

The pipe is bonded and this is a non issue really. If you came to this house to do work, would you insist on moving the bonding connection before commencing work, or just ensure the connection is adequate for purpose and crack on ?

At least all 4 are consistent.

The issue is that its not done as it should be (i.e within 600mm) I would have expected BG to have done it all by the book is all considering their prudentials.

they're gas monkeys. boss says do it this way. monkey see, monkey do.

The 600mm guidance is from the point of entry of the gas pipe into the premises (and before any junctions in the pipe) not where the meter is.
How far from the point of entry is this bonding?

At least it's visible if it's near the C.U

Reply to British Gas Meter Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock