Discuss "Budget" DIY'er insulation tester recommendations in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an SWA cable running from the CU to the garden that the previous owners had fitted, but no longer worked when I moved in a few years ago, that I want to reinstate.

The cable itself runs from the kitchen where the CU is and is then buried under the floor, under the utility room and shower room and pops out into the garden (I have ensured that the cable is no longer connected to the CU nor anything else in the garden and is fully isolated). I have done continuity tests using a multi-meter and the readings look OK (about 0.4 ohms on a 4mm cable over about a 5m run), but it could do with an IR test.

Given that an electrician is very unlikely to want to get out of bed to just do that one test, and I of course I would expect to pay for that service, I may as well put the money towards buying an IR tester myself. So are there any recommendations for a budget IR testing unit that is reasonably accurate? I have about £100 or so I could spend on it, and I would use it again in the future. I have seen the £15 Chinese ones on Amazon and eBay but I guess use those at your peril, unless they are any good for occasional use?

Thanks in advance.

As DPG says, give your location and you might get lucky. No! not that kinda lucky, maybe one of the members will be local enough to just pop in and help you out with a test for a decent price.

If you prefer to buy one look at brands like Uni-T or Brymen, they're adequate for occasional use and they'll at least be accurate and can probably be calibrated in future. I see on EBay UK they're selling a Uni-T 501A For just under 40 UK Quids.

I went for this in the end, as it was on offer and looked well put together.

Here is the link (although different colours to the one I was sent): https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/ten01053/insulation-tester/dp/IN05462?CMP=TREML007-005

I have seen a lot of the exact same units with different colours and branding, so obviously a generic unit, and the instructions are obviously a direct transaction from Chinese probably.

Very solid, not cheap looking or feeling and has a nice heavy feel to it (internal transformer?). The screen is a lot better than the photo suggests (I didn't take the cellophane off either), and has a nice bright backlight.

The test leads feel very nice, much better than the ones for my multi-meter, and it comes with a single crocodile clip (not sure why it didn't have two?).

I will run it through its paces and report back, although I have nothing to compare it against of course.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 13.04.21.jpeg

OK, have had a play. Easy enough to use even for a DIY'er / beginner. It's obvious when you have an open circuit through to a dead short. The interesting bit is the in between with a wire in various states of manglendness.

As the voltage ramps up then down, the display will jump around showing the resistance, but it is a bit quick and it is a shame it does not show the lowest reading after a test has completed. There is a hold button if you are quick. But then it is not a top of the line tester, so what did I expect! But keep your eye on the display and it would be obvious if there was a problem.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-12 at 17.38.18.jpeg

Apology if you already thought of this: If you want to check your meter, buy some resistors
& measure them.
Make sure you get resistors rates to at least 1kV though. Many smaller resistors in the 10M range won't overheat at 0.1W but they may degrade as are only rated for around 300V max. Something like this:

Or search for the CalCard as a convenient means of checking a tester is giving sane results.

Reply to "Budget" DIY'er insulation tester recommendations in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net