Discuss Buzzing RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 9648

Staff accommodation in a large hotel, was asked by maintenance guy to look at a DB. MK board with 3x RCBO's serving rings, and the rest lighting MCB's. One of the RCBO's was making a very noticeable buzzing noise,but otherwise worked fine. Disconnected cables and the buzzing stopped, IR circuit...nothing untoward. Reconnect cables and the buzzing starts again...with or without load. Was going to go and pick up a replacement straight away, but maintenance guy insisted on leaving it to the morning as he was already overtime.... 'and anyway,it's been like it for weeks'!

Any suggestions as to the cause of the buzzing?

try switching the circuits from the buzzing RCBO with another. if the buzzing stays with the original RCBO, replace. if it follows the circuit, then it's a circuit problem. one other possibility is to move the RCDO position so as to be next to a different device than the one it's next to at present (harmonics).

Thanks fella's.....didn't have a lot of time as I said....it was last knockings after an afternoon repairing hot cupboards in the hotel, but definitely not overload as it did it with no load at all. I suspect faulty RCBO, will find out in the morning.....just seems odd that as soon as cables disconnected it stops,and clamp meter showing zero amps on the circuit

maybe the letters "MK" are a clue.

Is this buzzing RCBO for a lighting circuit and are the lights dimmed ??? - swap the dimmer out with a normal switch and see if it stops.

or a happy RCBO.

As already mentioned, high load current and some kind of PWM electronics such as dimmers or maybe a fan speed controller etc are the causes I've come across. As per Tel's suggestion swap the circuits or even RCBO's around and see if the buzzing follows one in particular. I had a similar problem with an MCB once and two new replacements did exactly the same, I had to use a replacement from a different manufacturer eventually. There was obviously a compatibility issue with something on the load side that caused resonance with that particular MCB design.

Staff accommodation- could be a rogue Rampant rabbit.:confused::laugh3:

He said it was a ring...which means the pleasure aid you speak of,is corded...

I make it a rule,not to use a mains powered device of this type...caused a right mess last time...:wings:

Oooer Missus!.......we've gone a little off piste so to speak!.......will have a check for rampant rabbit chargers tomorrow and will report back on how the replacement RCBO fares.
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Oooer Missus!.......we've gone a little off piste so to speak!.......will have a check for rampant rabbit chargers tomorrow and will report back on how the replacement RCBO fares.
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Don't get caught checking out knicker drawers ffs !!:smilielol5:

If you can't measure any real load on the circuit, but yet can't prove conclusively everything is disconnected, it does strongly suggest phase-angle control turned down low like Darkwood's lighting dimmer (perhaps a standard lamp with inline dimmer) But also possibly something electronically controlled that isn't supposed to be variable in which the triac is barely firing (fan timer?), or even the internal ballast of a dead CFL or a faulty SMPSU with one half of its rectifier open-circuit. I can think of all sorts of electronic things that might be persuaded to generate a load current waveform that would buzz the current coil of an MCB but look open-circuit to a multimeter continuity test. How about an internally arcing delta-cap in an appliance - usually still in circuit with the appliance off. That probably wouldn't last long without going bang though.

It'll be interesting to hear the outcome...

Reply to Buzzing RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock