Discuss C&G Level 3 Project Question (Cafe ring final sockets length) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm a bit frazzled by the wording on the main project.

So, we are told to keep the max circuit length down to 30m, tutors said that isnt physically possible so just try to keep it under 40m and they noted that the socket circuit was a bit of a mental one and that the 30m guidance set by city and guilds was a bit ridiculous and suggested that they themselves have done it and in order to do it well, 30m isn't practical.

I've then gone and done what they advised and put the sockets on the main cafe on a ring, low diversity, so I know in the real world it'll be fine as it'll only ever run a vacuum cleaner.

Problem I have is, I've measured the length of the ring and its over 50m before I've factored in vertical and 64m once I've counted vertical!!

Has anyone done this and when they submitted it, was it accepted? What length did you settle on for your own circuit?

To keep the voltage drop within 5% it's run in 4mm, so VD and Zs is fine.

The way I see it is that as it's a ring, if you chopped it in to 2 radials very roughly, straight down the middle, its still 32m, which is deemed as acceptable by the tutors by their cookie cutter approach.

I wont be copying as I have drawn my own and it'd be obvious if I changed just the stated length. I just want to know whether I'm likely to get my project knocked back on this single thing.

DISCLAIMER: This is a theoretical exercise so I'm not looking for practical advice, I'm trying to satisfy city and guilds assessors not actually put this in, I'm trying to do as I am told so I get the tick.

TL;DR
What length circuit did you submit for your cafe ring final sockets and was it accepted?
Last edited:

Reply to C&G Level 3 Project Question (Cafe ring final sockets length) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net