Discuss C&G qualified sparks eligible for Australian skilled visa?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Loopytunes

I've lived in Australia for 2 years on working holidays and am interested in moving there to live. When I was wanting to train to be a spark I looked everywhere for an apprenticeship but couldn't find one anywhere and was told I was too old (25) so I did a electrical trainee course (ridiculous that people were there with vans and cards all printed up to go out and work, some after 3 weeks!) and looked for mate work so I could learn, which I've been doing for nearly 2 years, some domestic and some commercial. I know how a lot of people feel about those 6 week courses and I feel the same, but for 2 years now I've been working with sparks, pestering them constantly for info and techniques etc, and reading every book I possibly can so I understand what I'm doing and why. A lot of the proper sparks in my area sub to me now over apprentice-learned people too so reckon I'm doing ok so far.

Anyway what I want to know is, if I go self employed for x amount of years will I be able to emigrate on the strength of my experience then and my C&G qualifications or will I have to do my NVQ/AM2? Some of them are Level 3 I've been told that helps? Anyone know of a migration agent/site I can call?

And a company called "tradies down under" does an adaption course to aus regs/voltage in london, is this worth doing?? it's expensive. Any info, contacts or links that could help me please chuck em up :)

Cheers and Beers,

Loops

get in touch with australia house. they should be able to advise on what you need to have .

John -

EAL Level 2 for Domestic Electrical Installers (Part P Certificate)
17th Edition City & Guilds 2382-10 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (Level 3)
City & Guilds 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection & Testing (Level 2)
City & Guilds 2391-10 Inspection & Testing (Level 3)
NICEIC Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Certificate
PAT Testing City & Guilds 2377-12 Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (Level 3)
PAT Testing City & Guilds 2377-11 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance (Level 3)
Building Regulations City & Guilds 2393 (Level 3)

Thanks telectrix i've requested a callback from them, anyone done similar?

people who offer this for 5 to 6k for basic qualifications is a joke, 2391 is the only good qualification there

i think you will find it had to do a nvq 3 with your qual you have i think you need 2330 2/3 but j.i.b would know more on that

same as telectix said about green card

My advice would be dont bother getting any certs over here (UK) as you will need to do it again when you get to Oz. Its possible to get enrolled into a local TAFE (college) Once in Australia and after 4 weeks full time your trade will be assesed and after some practical and theory exams you will be given a grade A licence which you can use to find work. I then think you pay 500 aus dollars to upgrade to a contractors licence which means you can work for yourself. This is the general gist, as has been quite rightly said, Australia house have a whole section on whats needed. You will need a visa to work before any of the above though which is an ordeal in itself. JIB electricians are well thought of over there.

Thanks Timo, so do you think doing the adaption stuff is worth it? It's MACG training and a white card etc. I don't want to pay for that if I don't need it.

John I agree about those courses completely, but if you can't get an apprenticeship what do you do? It helped me get my foot in and get mate work though.

Im lookin at doin the same, i bin sparkin for 10 years now, a spark friend moved over there and said the same thing, you have to redo quals over there.... i looked into it and it says i need to get a skill assessment done or something?! does anyone no if that can be done over here???

Kas1 im not sure i can do that though with an NVQ? Thats Brendan il check it out now, Bristolian just sent you the link

De ja vu seems to spring to mind

Check the qualifications to another thread with regards to this - Who would you employee 1-2 infro below
only thing missing is the Electrical Trainee part

John -

EAL Level 2 for Domestic Electrical Installers (Part P Certificate)
17th Edition City & Guilds 2382-10 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (Level 3)
City & Guilds 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection & Testing (Level 2)
City & Guilds 2391-10 Inspection & Testing (Level 3)
NICEIC Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Certificate
PAT Testing City & Guilds 2377-12 Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (Level 3)
PAT Testing City & Guilds 2377-11 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance (Level 3)
Building Regulations City & Guilds 2393 (Level 3)

Thanks telectrix i've requested a callback from them, anyone done similar?

so you are not actually a spark then?It looks like you have just done a load of short courses and the 2391.I think the Aussies are pretty hot on people having done a recognized training route at least similar to an apprenticeship

Just enrolled on a 2357 course leading to the AM2.

Also I'm going to an event called Down Under Live in Birmingham sat 23rd Feb (Down Under Live, jobs and emigration expo for Australia and New Zealand) to do some information gathering, any sparks who want a lift near Bristol or on the way send me a private message, looks good.

Loops

Hi ya loopy, how random, just came on here to have a look around as I've been looking into going to oz as well.

i live in emmersons green and I'm also going to down under live in brum.

Basically it's not all that easy, and its very expensive, by the time you have your visa you'll be looking at about 6-7k

firstly I have been working as an improver and a mate on and off since 2009, i had to retrain due to leaving my previous job in qatar due to health.

I started by doing the 2330 lol 2 on a "full time" 2 1/2 days a week course in Cornwall, I then joined the apprentices on day release and was still just doing bits here and there due to my health and frequent stays in hospital.
In June 2011 I finished my 2330 lvl 3 then started looking for work in Cornwall and couldn't find it so I moved to Bristol.

Since feb last year I've been working constantly as an improver and working towards my NVQ 3, I heard back from my assessor last week and city and guilds have seen my NVQ and have signed it off so all I have to do is wait for the Certs.

Thats my background for you to help you see what they want for oz.

i enquired about a visa and they are unsure if they will consider my 3 1/2 years as experience because I wasn't qualified but the emigration site asks for 3 years experience in your field or one closely linked to it, (I don't think you can get much closer to a spark than an improver) and 12 months in the 24 have to have been worked in the field you are looking to get assessed in. This will determine the points you'll get.

For me to get my points up I am having to take an IELTS English exam and you must score 8 and above on all 4 units to gain the necessary points.

The pay around £1000 for them to look at your quals and see if they will let you do the practical assessment and a theory test.

Then around £1500 for the assessment which you'd 100% need to have done the theory side at college as its all about power factor correction, power triangles and all the other lovely theory that rarely gets used in the real world.

Then the practical is apparently wiring a 2 way lighting circuit, a DOL starter and then test the lot, then the examiner will ask you to leave while he puts a fault on the motor and you then have to find it and fix it.

If you pass all this you can then apply to Australia for and invite to get a visa, then you have to be invited lol.

Once you get there your assessment will only get you a provisional license, this means you'll have to work as a trade assistant until you can get the full license from wherever you are living.

Basically the entire move for me and the mrs from start to finish is going to cost us around the £12-15k mark.

Hope this helps you!!

P.s

don't suppose you know of any work on around Bristol at the minute?? Finished on my last site op3 weeks ago and it's been dead since, looking at doing some private work but not being from here its tough to get started.

I spoke to go Matilda an they said its 2200 + vat to get me my visa. Try them mate, it looks like that's everything sorted with them..!

Does that include the skills assessment??

I've had quotes of about £1800-2000 without the skills assessment.

Reply to C&G qualified sparks eligible for Australian skilled visa?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock