Discuss C2 for extension lead on washing machine in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dr Denis

DIY
Reaction score
I let out a flat and had an EICR, carried out, to meet the new Private Rented Sector Regulations. The EICR has recorded a “C2” for an extension lead on a washing machine.

The lead supplied with the washing machine is about 1 metre shorter than is convenient for fitting the drainage tube back into the drain, when moving the appliance in and out from under the kitchen worktop. I have fitted a short extension lead between the appliance plug and the 3-pin socket. The extension lead is adequately rated at 13amps and is tucked away such that it is not a trip hazard nor exposed to any risk of mechanical damage. The EICR received, states: “Trailing lead feeds washing machine, Classification Code C2”

I have queried this for two reasons:
1. The trailing lead is not part of the fixed wiring and is therefore outside of the scope of the EICR, which I requested, i.e. to meet the requirements in the Private Renting Regulations.
2. The extension lead is not being used in an unsafe manner and does not merit a “C2”

The Contractor say an extension lead on a washing machine is unsafe and therefore a C2. What comments?

A satisfactory eicr is not required to let the property out.
you have an eicr now.
your responsibility now is to repair any c1 or c2 issues within 28 days.

this may be as simple as screwing the extension socket to the wall behind the machine and fixing the wire so it is not trailing.
make a note of the repair that has been done and attach it to the eicr, keep for your own records.

a satisfactory eicr is not required as long as you have documented the faults have been repaired.

edit,
I also think the c2 is probably unwarranted and should at worst just be noted in the comments.

Not enough sockets, I believe should be gone. C nothing. But the electrician is concerned as they do burn out and melt more than you think, even tho 13A fuse.

Sticking my neck out here but I have a couple of houses i do ISITEE on and they both have massive "American Style" Fridge freezers, I installed good quality extension leads on them. This means when i test i just fish the cable up, test the fridge then test the extension, pop them back on top of the units. That means i don't have to manhandle the fridges out to get at the plugs in the sockets behind. These extensions are not used for anything else, don't suffer wear and tear by being unplugged many times.
The OP's washing machine is a similar case.

More in the remit of PAT test.
Deffo not part of the EICR, as others have said.
Sounds like I will cover my rear !! and then cover a bit more !!!
I must admit with this Landlord thing I do wonder how many very confident Sparkies will end up being dragged over the coals 5 years from now when some other I'm the dogs danglies U Tube brigade Sparky starts second guessing the 1st guys EICR.
Something like " The last guy didn't know what he was doing look !! this reading is 0.00002 out, terrible" And these code 3s are code 2s. Look at my NAPPIT codebreakers.
But don't worry I'm here now and I'm soooo amazing.
You can find me on U tube and I've been qualified for 2 whole years. ?????

Very good is this available from NAPIT
Might as well be. Remember all these code break books regardless who produce them are based on opinions. Its your signature on these certs and so your neck on the block if anything hits the fan. Thats why these books annoy me. Your all out there doing your best, but not one so called governing body will stand by you or any of these books. There for guidance only !! Now we will climb back under our stones.

Be that as it may, the landlord now has an unsatisfactory report, and some legal 28-day clocks have started ticking.

Being devils advocate here. A qualified electrician has seen a potential fire hazard and has gone the extra mile to make the Landlord aware of it from the point of safety.
Extension leads for appliances that have current draw such has washing machines dish washers and tumble driers should never ideally be connected through an extension lead.
So we know its not an ideal solution.
He has chosen to report this on his EICR.
Its not part of the fixed wiring agreed.
But he has sufficient concern over the safety aspect to fail the installation on the basis that a better solution is sought, possibly an additional socket for the machine closer to the one currently used.
And he has done this because he doesn't want to walk away with an its not my problem attitude.
What does the washing machine manufacturer have to say about using there products on XT leads ??
How much will it cost to rectify the problem and have peace of mind for the tenants safety.
Just putting it out there guys.

Reply to C2 for extension lead on washing machine in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net