Discuss C2 for extension lead on washing machine in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Being devils advocate here. A qualified electrician has seen a potential fire hazard and has gone the extra mile to make the Landlord aware of it from the point of safety.
Extension leads for appliances that have current draw such has washing machines dish washers and tumble driers should never ideally be connected through an extension lead.
So we know its not an ideal solution.
He has chosen to report this on his EICR.
Its not part of the fixed wiring agreed.
But he has sufficient concern over the safety aspect to fail the installation on the basis that a better solution is sought, possibly an additional socket for the machine closer to the one currently used.
And he has done this because he doesn't want to walk away with an its not my problem attitude.
What does the washing machine manufacturer have to say about using there products on XT leads ??
How much will it cost to rectify the problem and have peace of mind for the tenants safety.
Just putting it out there guys.

If it's a well made extension cable with a good quality plug and socket then there should be no issue. It sounds like it is only of minimal length.

And it can be tested either as part of ISITEE, or at the same time as the fixed installation, to ensure it is safe for use. Preferably with a high current earth-bond test.

If it's a well made extension cable with a good quality plug and socket then there should be no issue. It sounds like it is only of minimal length.

And it can be tested either as part of ISITEE, or at the same time as the fixed installation, to ensure it is safe for use. Preferably with a high current earth-bond test.
Agree but what if the manufacturer says an X tension lead should not be used on the appliance. I know I have actually seen this, from them, in the past.

He has chosen to report this on his EICR.
He may not do that.

Its not part of the fixed wiring agreed.
Then it is outside the scope of an EICR.

But he has sufficient concern over the safety aspect to fail the installation
It's not part of the installation.

on the basis that a better solution is sought, possibly an additional socket for the machine closer to the one currently used.
And he has done this because he doesn't want to walk away with an its not my problem attitude.
He is absolutely free to comment on it in his report.

He is not free to judge the installation on things which are not part of the installation.

What does the washing machine manufacturer have to say about using there products on XT leads ??
The washing machine is not part of the installation.

Add a note to the EICR if you want, but it's still not codeable.
Again I agree with you. In my opinion your correct. In your opinion your correct. And my certificate like your certificate would be signed by you or me accordingly. However we are not talking about our certificates. We are talking about someone else's. He has signed it, and therefore its his opinion that he is signing against. As long as he is competent and qualified to perform such work. Regardless of if we agree or disagree with his C2 decision it is his decision to make. And the Devils advocate quote I made earlier is for that very reason. This kind of thing will continue to happen, and we all know it. This will not be the last complaint regarding EICRs. Damned if you do damned if you dont.

Putting the cat amoungst the pigeons; I'd C3 it and justify the inclusion in scope as although the extension lead and washing machine would fall under ISITTEE, the tenant/LL is unlikely to be moving them on a regular basis. I agree a C2 is a bit harsh though, C3 at best; doesn't fail the EICR then.

Bear in mind BS7671 is a) a minimum requirement and b) not statutory. Going above and beyond 7671 should not be seen as a bad thing, provided it can be backed up with sound reasoning, and on such a many that the client understands why, then I don't see a problem

Last edited:
Moving away from the specifics here...

The real issue is that if you ask 10 different electricians to do an EICR on the same installation... you'll probably get at least 7 different reports ! From the users perspective... that's kinda nuts !

Reply to C2 for extension lead on washing machine in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net