Discuss Cable clips as per 18th edition. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Friends,

I'm rewiring my brothers house tomorrow. Can someone tell me if the new 18th edition allows me to use the plastic cable clips to secure the cables to joists etc?
Or do I have to replace them with metal ones?

Thanks

ZippyMo
Trainee Sparks

Are the cables above plasterboard?

Is the joist above a plaster board? If so then the plaster board is a fire barrier so plastic clips can be used.
Tin hat on....
No tin hat, plasterboard is rated at 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of fire would collapse be classed as premature?

No tin hat, plasterboard is rated at 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of fire would collapse be classed as premature?

Just covering my arse mate... :)

I was watching a vid about subject, as well as other matters, hosted by IET. Napit bod tried the argument that cable above plasterboard ceiling needed metal clips. Everyone else in the room surprisingly didn’t agree. I wondered what he would suggest doing during rewire or alterations; get a very small apprentice.

I was watching a vid about subject, as well as other matters, hosted by IET. Napit bod tried the argument that cable above plasterboard ceiling needed metal clips. Everyone else in the room surprisingly didn’t agree. I wondered what he would suggest doing during rewire or alterations; get a very small apprentice.

What was his reasoning behind this?

Probably some paper pushing bureaucrat who has no clue about what he is talking about, like a lot of the Cretins that make up the Scam's rules, technocrats most of them, no practical experience whatsoever.

At school I'm sick of retrospectively tidying cables up from past lazy contractors. The amount of times I go and do a job only to see a stack of cables draped across the false ceiling after I lift a tile up. I use metal cable ties, probably overkill because many would argue the metal grid of the ceiling would act as a support, and if that comes down then it's game over, but I'm not sure I could live with myself if somebody lost their life because I tried to scrimp a bit on some clips/ties.

At school I'm sick of retrospectively tidying cables up from past lazy contractors. The amount of times I go and do a job only to see a stack of cables draped across the false ceiling after I lift a tile up. I use metal cable ties, probably overkill because many would argue the metal grid of the ceiling would act as a support, and if that comes down then it's game over, but I'm not sure I could live with myself if somebody lost their life because I tried to scrimp a bit on some clips/ties.

It’s not just the weight of the cables on the grid thats a problem, they shouldn’t be installed on the grid for numerous other reasons.. mainly due to the sharp edges that can cause damage to the cables

I doubt very much that many false ceiling grids are rated as supporting structures for any services let alone to prevent premature collapse.

It’s not just the weight of the cables on the grid thats a problem, they shouldn’t be installed on the grid for numerous other reasons.. mainly due to the sharp edges that can cause damage to the cables
try telling that to the data donkeys.

I doubt very much that many false ceiling grids are rated as supporting structures for any services let alone to prevent premature collapse.

I agree, I've just pulled in 20 cat5e cables (supported properly) and my arm was aching, and that would be all weight that likely wasn't included in the design of a false ceiling if it wasn't properly supported. Ceiling grids probably aren't designed against premature collapse, but it's going to cause just as much trouble if/when it collapses as cable would.

try telling that to the data donkeys.

That's most of the trouble. Come across one or two bits of T+E on the ceiling, but it's mostly data.

Judge for yourself (7.10mins). Its a bit old now 17th 3 Amendment time;

Fire protection: panel discussion 2 at the ELEX show in Harrogate - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/56/fire-protection-panel-discussion-2-at-the-elex-show-in-harrogate/

Judge for yourself (7.10mins). Its a bit old now 17th 3 Amendment time;

Fire protection: panel discussion 2 at the ELEX show in Harrogate - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/56/fire-protection-panel-discussion-2-at-the-elex-show-in-harrogate/

Ok, so that was posted 31st March 2015.
It's nice to know that we are still without a reg as to which way to go...

Reply to Cable clips as per 18th edition. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock