Discuss cable embedded in plaster board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hughesy

strange one this guys.just installed some downlights but when i drilled through the plasterboard i noticed half way through i was hitting a cable of some sort and very fine wire mesh the cable core was silver like aluminium it was a single core with black sheath and was 4.0mm solid strand tested it ,it was dead nothing tripped on the rcd board either, the wire mesh also running through the plaster board was very fine 0.1mm, there were 2 of the black cables that i came across could of been more but the ( single core double insulated black cable )and the (wire mesh )were in the plaster board as if it has been embedded by the manufacturer does anyone know what it is or have you seen this before. thanks guys.

strange one this guys.just installed some downlights but when i drilled through the plasterboard i noticed half way through i was hitting a cable of some sort and very fine wire mesh the cable core was silver like aluminium it was a single core with black sheath and was 4.0mm solid strand tested it ,it was dead nothing tripped on the rcd board either, the wire mesh also running through the plaster board was very fine 0.1mm, there were 2 of the black cables that i came across could of been more but the ( single core double insulated black cable )and the (wire mesh )were in the plaster board as if it has been embedded by the manufacturer does anyone know what it is or have you seen this before. thanks guys.

Years ago single core cables were used as ariels for the early paging systems in commercial premises. For example when I was in shop fitting a 4mm black was run around the perimeter of the building just above the ceiling but certainly not embedded in any building fabric !!!!!!

Years ago single core cables were used as ariels for the early paging systems in commercial premises. For example when I was in shop fitting a 4mm black was run around the perimeter of the building just above the ceiling but certainly not embedded in any building fabric !!!!!!

Ive had a closer look at the cable or whatever it is and the inner insulation is black rubber but the outer sheath is more of a black plastic still confused as to what it is as there were a few running parallel through the plaster board along with the very fine wire mesh , not getting many replys so asuming its not common or no one knows what it is and i sound a bit mad.

interesting, a farraday cage perhaps???
can you tell me more please mate ie whats a farraday cage

hughesy what type of property is it? Commercial, industrial, domestic?

Warren g its a domestic property big posh bungalow ,wiring is old though ie no earth in lights.

Hi guys still no look i am 99% sure that its not a cable as in electrical cable although i am still baffled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like some very old Lead Sheathed Cable..........look simliar to this but single core?

http://www.shf.org.au/JO-photos/JO-engineering/JO-lead-sheath-cable-3.JPG
looked similar but not lead and no wire mesh core.thanks anyway think lister has got it.

ahhh posh you say,

in that case its an old heated ceiling, never seen ond check out WARM HOME PAGE

hope this helps.

think your right mate thats been in the back of my mind just thought it was a stupid idea what use is a heated ceiling when heat rises. thanks alot mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to cable embedded in plaster board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net