Discuss Cable prices going up. Anywhere to buy in bulk? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've had quite a bit of cable stored up so haven't had to buy any for a while. The prices look crazy!

I don't mind spending a few thousand on buying in bulk as you save hundreds. Is there anywhere that people use to buy in bulk? I'll try rexel on Monday but they're not usually the best for prices with twin and earth.

What sort of prices are you guys getting for 1mm - 6mm twin and earth?

Hope you're all having a relaxing Sunday! ?

I don't think buying cable in bulk will save you too much, wholesalers generally don't have that big a margin on it in comparison to their other lines.

Shop around the wholesalers you have an account with, a lot will depend on what price the wholesalers bought it for. A wholesaler you don't have an account with is unlikely to do any favours as they'll have plenty of regular customers in the same boat

As above.... cable is not a huge earner for most retailers .Right now I am hearing too many people talk about a serious increase in interest rates .Now if we see more than 1.5% increase soon, many people are going to be in serious trouble .3-4 % Mass issues . Over 6% will see hundreds of thousands of people lose their homes etc in weeks . Its going to a serious rough ride for many

As above.... cable is not a huge earner for most retailers .Right now I am hearing too many people talk about a serious increase in interest rates .Now if we see more than 1.5% increase soon, many people are going to be in serious trouble .3-4 % Mass issues . Over 6% will see hundreds of thousands of people lose their homes etc in weeks . Its going to a serious rough ride for many

Indeed, but this must be viewed in terms of the unprecedented base rates we've experienced for many years. It is inevitible that rates will rise, but the question is by how much - return to late 80s rates and most of us will be out on our ear.

I buy all my general cable from screwfix , my local wholesalers can't get near the price for twin and earth etc

I now literally only buy what I need , when I need it and at most carry 2 drums of 1.5 and 2 drums of 2.5.

I do stock up on gu10 led lamps when screwfix have a clear out but apart from that my van stock is run right down now

years ago i used to carry about 10-20 drums of mixed T&E but never do that now

Indeed, but this must be viewed in terms of the unprecedented base rates we've experienced for many years. It is inevitible that rates will rise, but the question is by how much - return to late 80s rates and most of us will be out on our ear.
Just fixed me mortgage for 2 years at 1.3% as any thing above
3% and I would be in the deep deep shyte

Because I am very old, I have had no real interraction with mortgage rates for many years. However, just to put matters in perspective, my first mortgage had an interest rate of 14.5%, and a few years later I was delighted to get 11%.
My bank wrote to me recently advising that my savings account now attracted an interest rate of 0.01%.
Someone's having a laugh...

Because I am very old, I have had no real interraction with mortgage rates for many years. However, just to put matters in perspective, my first mortgage had an interest rate of 14.5%, and a few years later I was delighted to get 11%.
My bank wrote to me recently advising that my savings account now attracted an interest rate of 0.01%.
Someone's having a laugh...

Average high street savings account rates for the last 10 years has been 0.06%

My first mortgage came in 2007 and was 6% which would cripple me now on my current borrowing

I buy all my general cable from screwfix , my local wholesalers can't get near the price for twin and earth etc

I now literally only buy what I need , when I need it and at most carry 2 drums of 1.5 and 2 drums of 2.5.

I do stock up on gu10 led lamps when screwfix have a clear out but apart from that my van stock is run right down now

years ago i used to carry about 10-20 drums of mixed T&E but never do that now
Oddly my local CEF are hard to beat on price for T&E. Better than screwfix every time.

I took a punt that cable prices would be going high and staying high earlier in the year (to be fair, it looked an easy and obvious bet based on what way it was going), and bought a heck of a lot of it. 2.5 was £45+VAT, 1.5 was £29.50+VAT and 1.0 was £23+VAT. The savings are countered by the storage space taken up (and the risk if it comes down in price I'm stuck with more expensive cable). When I've exhausted this stock, I'll not be doing it again. I'm on a long term sabbatical from new builds or rewires (lifetime ban on occupied rewires), the amount of cable used on kitchens, refurbs, bathrooms isn't too epic in the scheme of things. Costs will just be passed on to customers.

Average high street savings account rates for the last 10 years has been 0.06%

My first mortgage came in 2007 and was 6% which would cripple me now on my current borrowing
6% blimey, I don't recall any mortgage of mine ever being much past 3% (1st mortgage 2001), would pay mine off now if it was worth is but it's 0.33% at present (lifetime tracker). So I'll leave it well alone.

6% blimey, I don't recall any mortgage of mine ever being much past 3% (1st mortgage 2001), would pay mine off now if it was worth is but it's 0.33% at present (lifetime tracker). So I'll leave it well alone.
Mine was with HSBC on our first house which was a tracker at 1% above base and at its high base was 5% i think which meant it worked out 6%

We lucked out when rates a year or so later plummeted in the great credit crunch of 08/09

My recent fixed was 1.5 and just remortgaged to 1.3

By our ear......? It will be more than that at even 4-5% . Its sickening that Housing became a business to profit from . The worlds greatest "landlord/leader" was Gaddafi . What he did for his people was an act no other world leader has ever done .

Mine was with HSBC on our first house which was a tracker at 1% above base and at its high base was 5% i think which meant it worked out 6%

We lucked out when rates a year or so later plummeted in the great credit crunch of 08/09

My recent fixed was 1.5 and just remortgaged to 1.3
Mines tracked off Bank of England rate, I recall financial adviser being surprised at the deal. I thought he was full of bluff and trying to push a sale, checked elsewhere and it was a good deal at the time. If it changes by enough to make it worthwhile I'll pay whats left of it. As it is I'll just let it be.

Not a question of if it'll happen, but when. Hopefully not soon.

We remortgaged late 2019 and went for a 5 year fixed rate. 3 year fixed was fixed slightly lower, but I just couldn't see the base rate remaining at 0.5% for the next 5 years. Who knew Covid would come and drive it down a bit more, but I reckon that 5 year fixed term will prove to be the right move.

The mortgage adviser thought we were mad going for 5 years, but that slight rate difference suggested the banks were employing the same thinking as we were.

Reply to Cable prices going up. Anywhere to buy in bulk? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net