Discuss Cable prices going up. Anywhere to buy in bulk? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’ll second Screwfix for good prices. 2 weeks ago I bought a drum of 1.5 t&e, 1.5 3 core and 2.5 t&e when I didn’t really need it… just as spare drums for the van…

Last weekend there was a 10% off everything offer, so I got another 6 drums, on top of a load of fittings for a job specced by the customer which I won’t need for about a month.
Why are prople still
Using 1.5mm domestically lol

The list would have been too long if I mentioned t&e and 3core in the 1.0 sizes as well.
1.5 for circuits other than lighting, running through insulation, etc….

That’s all by-the-by. The thread is about pricing not choice of whether 1.0mm can be used instead of 1.5……. Although it will be cheaper

Has mable price really gone up that much ? in the past 15 years

Doing some clearing out as I have this arvo off work and found this old wholesalers book from 2003/4 and 2.5 drums 100m were £38.75 + vat (£46 all in)

£71 quid today , thats not that big a price increase... Is it ?

Attachments

• DSC06672.JPG
    467 KB · Views: 3
Yes , I recently threw out a bunch of old Eddies invoices and 2.5 was £20 + vat back when I started out self employed around 2000/2001

I remember working cards in before this and I think 2.5 was about 17 quid , I don't remember it being less that that but it probably was even cheaper in the 1980s

Yes , I recently threw out a bunch of old Eddies invoices and 2.5 was £20 + vat back when I started out self employed around 2000/2001

I remember working cards in before this and I think 2.5 was about 17 quid , I don't remember it being less that that but it probably was even cheaper in the 1980s
Cant remember in the 80's because was on the cards didnt buy much cable just took a bit lol, however did buy 100m of 1mm think it was under £6.

Cant remember in the 80's because was on the cards didnt buy much cable just took a bit lol, however did buy 100m of 1mm think it was under £6.
Yeah that probably sounds about right , I throw away some old invoices that showed I was paying around £8 + vat for 100m of 1mm t&e

I remember back when cards in and cable was so cheap that the boss knew we all would use cable for weekend homers but as it was so cheap he turned a blind eye to it

If anything thou I would say labourer rates have far out stripped cable rates in recent years

15 years ago I was invoicing my labour at £15 ph sometimes 20 if i could get away with it , you can't even get a cleaner for that now

most sparks are £70-80 per hour now if not more

even at todays materials prices 80% of the cost of a rewire will be labour ?

Reply to Cable prices going up. Anywhere to buy in bulk? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net