Discuss Cable routing central heating wiring centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Spaghetti wiring using lots of terminal blocks.
Wish to move to Wago mbox.
Cable entries too small for cables so need to wire into back of box.
All cables are either surface mounted or free running across cupboard.
Need to raise Wago away from wall as I don’t really want to bury cables in the plaster board.

is it ok to use wooden plinth under the box and run cable through the wood?

Hi all thanks for your suggestions, I couldn't respond on Ipad nor iPhone and I may know what the problem is !. I can work on my PC successfully.

Answers to everyone.
Wago XL box - Ive got two of them in my kit - so might do that!
Some time ago, pictures were not accepted - and I havent heard that they are now.
So I will summarise here and try pictures later:
The "wiring centre" consists of two boxes:
An old Drayton SB1 which is 7x9x9 mm and contains most of the connections. The connections are now Wago but were originally choc blocks (single not a strip!) in a layered config about three in each row.
The other box is a surface mounted 1 gang backbox whic contains:
Connection to Room Thermostat
choc block connections to controller
choc blocks to an external RCD through as input to another device.
There are 3 cables T&E that connect between the boxes
All cables are clipped to the wall except the 3Port and the Water Thermostat which are located across the floor of the cupboard.
The boiler is downstairs.

I been a member now for around 2 years.

Hope that answers everyone and sorry for delay.

I spoke with friends and they suggested a WAGO Wiring centre with 10mm plastic spacers that would give a 10mm gap below the box. This would mean that all cables could be fed in from the rear.

A couple of pictures of the issue would help
So I will summarise here and try pictures later: The "wiring centre" consists of two boxes: An old Drayton SB1 which is 7x9x9 mm and contains most of the connections. The connections are now Wago but were originally choc blocks (single not a strip!) in a layered config about three in each row. The other box is a surface mounted 1 gang backbox whic contains: Connection to Room Thermostat choc block connections to controller choc blocks to an external RCD through as input to another device. There are 3 cables T&E that connect between the boxes All cables are clipped to the wall except the 3Port and the Water Thermostat which are located across the floor of the cupboard. The boiler is downstairs.
Source URL: UK - Cable routing central heating wiring centre - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/cable-routing-central-heating-wiring-centre.188371/#post-1643312

Pictures of the layout. Two enclosures . 2020-07-16 11.00.06.jpg2020-07-16 11.00.06.jpg2020-07-16 10.59.56-1.jpgFile 16-07-2020, 11 24 53.png2020-07-16 11.00.06.jpg2020-07-16 10.59.56-1.jpgFile 16-07-2020, 11 24 53.png
[automerge]1594896975[/automerge]
Two enclosures.
Small unit contains Nest wiring, and a pass through to an RCD which provides power to a 3amp shower pump.

The box did have the in wires to Room Thermostat. This has been removed.

Wago connectors have replaced many of the choc blocks than filled the boxes

Last edited:
Pictures of the layout. Two enclosures . View attachment 59500View attachment 59500View attachment 59501View attachment 59502View attachment 59500View attachment 59501View attachment 59502
[automerge]1594896975[/automerge]
Two enclosures.
Small unit contains Nest wiring, and a pass through to an RCD which provides power to a 3amp shower pump.

The box did have the in wires to Room Thermostat. This has been removed.

Wago connectors have replaced many of the choc blocks than filled the boxes
Irrelevant point, but did you label the earth wago earth? I want to believe that anyone who decides to open the cover/ start working at it would know what it is.

Irrelevant point, but did you label the earth wago earth? I want to believe that anyone who decides to open the cover/ start working at it would know what it is.
Yes - in case the next person was colour blind. But you do raise an issue. I have watched numerous Youtube videos covering problems in this area and no qualified person labelled the cores nor were they labelled at installation time.Presumably, so that the next person can charge for the time to identify the circuits?

But I want to thank you for reading it - it separates you from the bulk of the clan.
[automerge]1594979020[/automerge]
Yes - in case the next person was colour blind. But you do raise an issue. I have watched numerous Youtube videos covering problems in this area and no qualified person labelled the cores nor were they labelled at installation time.Presumably, so that the next person can charge for the time to identify the circuits?

But I want to thank you for reading it - it separates you from the bulk of the clan.
It proves that it was not a complete waste of time.

Last edited:
no qualified person labelled the cores nor were they labelled at installation time.Presumably, so that the next person can charge for the time to identify the circuits?

No, it doesn't take long to identify which cable is which in a domestic heating control circuit. On a normal setup I can probably identify the wires in the same time without labels as it would take to straighten out all of the labels to read them and work out what your abbreviations mean.

In your picture you have a connector labelled 2 and wires that appear to be labelled 6-N6 and 7-NL, what do these mean? Do you print a reference chart and circuit diagram to go with this?

No, it doesn't take long to identify which cable is which in a domestic heating control circuit. On a normal setup I can probably identify the wires in the same time without labels as it would take to straighten out all of the labels to read them and work out what your abbreviations mean.

In your picture you have a connector labelled 2 and wires that appear to be labelled 6-N6 and 7-NL, what do these mean? Do you print a reference chart and circuit diagram to go with this?
I realise that most people will be able to do it in a few minutes but more time needed when the equipment is upstairs / down stairs. I searched for the Boiler SL cable for a time before realising it was a forth core in the mains cable . (silly me)

Part of IET is documentation....... it just adds to this.

The numbers relate to diagrams of the system and the numbering on the cores is 6-N6 is runs from WAGO 6 to N (Nest) port 6 etc.
In the pack, I have a diagram showing what is wired and live in all the potential configurations nothing on, Heating on Water off, ....etc.

and a final sheet showing the voltages at the WAGOS and components - still to be fully checked!

2020-07-17 19.04.14-1.jpg
Now your apprentice can do the testing / troubleshooting.

Attachments

• 2020-06-07 20.19.13.png
    407.3 KB · Views: 11

Hats off to you sir. A very thorough job and very helpful to the next person working at it.
Thanks for your kind words.

I realise that most people will be able to do it in a few minutes but more time needed when the equipment is upstairs / down stairs. I searched for the Boiler SL cable for a time before realising it was a forth core in the mains cable . (silly me)

The numbers relate to diagrams of the system and the numbering on the cores is 6-N6 is runs from WAGO 6 to N (Nest) port 6 etc.
In the pack, I have a diagram showing what is wired and live in all the potential configurations nothing on, Heating on Water off, ....etc.

and a final sheet showing the voltages at the WAGOS and components - still to be fully checked!

View attachment 59540

View attachment 59540

I am moving to the Ktech Wago wiring centre.
They supply the following diagram and a form for noting the usage of the various connectors.

As I am ripping out all the existing wires, then labelling them is a time saver.
2020-07-18 09.24.45.pngForm.jpg

Reply to Cable routing central heating wiring centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net