Discuss Cables and cavity walls in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If I want to run a cable up a cavity wall is it best to run it through the cavity or chase the wall out and run it through a conduit.

What distance are we talking?
Does the cavity have insulation in it?

Think you are only allowed 3m unsupported in a cavity or vertical duct but it all depends on insulation type for example styrene would degrade cable so probably best to chase so limiting damage when pulling in etc I could go on forever but whoever does job would decide on the job what’s best taking all factors into consideration this would take into account damage to decor and how expensive it would be to put right

There’s no prohibition in BS7671 against running cables in cavities.
In fact BS8436 cable is designed for use in building voids and BS7671 lists installation methods 40 to 44 as being writhing building voids.

Can imagine anything (other than SWD) wanting to be in a writhing building void.

Would this be the sequel to cables in cavity walls thread part 5, discussion.

I was thinking about @Michael Sands post above, about max cable length, so I went searching.

BBB - page 308. 721.522.8.1.3 states max length of 0.4 m between cable supports.
I can't find anything else in the BBB relating to the max length of cable between supports.

OSG - page 139 (g) states max length of 5 m between cable supports.

Reply to Cables and cavity walls in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I would like to hide the cable to an EV charger. The consumer unit, meter cabinet and charger would all be on the same wall. About 5 metres from...
Replies
Views
DIYer here. I'd like to install an electric car wall charger myself. It calls for 6/2 romex which I have. Unfortunately my panel is in my...
Replies
Views
I have an EV charger installed by a local firm. The install looks nice and tidy but with only a 2 meter run from the board you could hardly expect...
Replies
Views
I'm installing smart modules in my light switches which means I need to replace the existing 25mm back boxes with 47mm ones. Downstairs all walls...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got an new outbuilding that needs power run out to it, the building is very close to the house and the original plan was to run an...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock