Discuss Cables coiled for future CU change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Carrying out a rewire on my property and I am hoping to use my old board as it is an RCBO board 8way. However in the future I may add circuits and may have to update the board to a larger one. In order to do this however the consumer unit would have to be moved to an adjacent wall as there is no space at the moment for a larger board. The new circuits I am running in I have left enough length on them if ever a board chance is carried out. My only concern is is it safe to have excess cable under the floorboards kind of coiled up looking a bit of a mess. Concerned about over heating etc. I will try not to coil them as I know this could be an issue

A sensible question, obviously as you have already worked out too much could cause heat issues, out of interest when is the new board going in?

I’m hoping to get away with the 8 way for now. At least a couple of years the longest.

Not another live circuit no just it’s designated circuit. For instance I have just ran in the downstairs ring main and have left an extra 2m on each tail for possibility of new board on adjacent wall so that I have sufficient cable in the future save taking up floorboards and flooring etc

I’m hoping to get away with the 8 way for now. At least a couple of years the longest.

Not another live circuit no just it’s designated circuit. For instance I have just ran in the downstairs ring main and have left an extra 2m on each tail for possibility of new board on adjacent wall so that I have sufficient cable in the future save taking up floorboards and flooring etc
Is that in answer to my question post 3?

Don’t coil/roll them up, just lay them loosely in between the joists in an up & down fashion.

Will be fine to leave below, as mentioned dont coil, just clip them a couple Of meters down some joist and then back to keep them off the floor which may be damp.

However, if you can juat put in the larger board now, you will wish you had of done in a couple of years. See if you can get the same make and reuse the RCBOs

Reply to Cables coiled for future CU change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net