Discuss Calculating electric motor cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tobias

-
Reaction score
How do I calculate cable size for 2x 22kw motors, power factor 0.86. One will be running whist the other one is for standby, but in case of high load both motors can run together, but it's very rare to have high loads.

Lots of factors to take into account...

Type of starting - DOL, Star/Delta, VFD, Soft start unit etc etc can all effect the wiring size to the motor
Starting duty - With some loads like high inertia loads the extra time taken to get to speed means cables may need to be larger to allow for the longer starting loads.
Installation methods - as with all circuits the install methods may mean derating factors are applied thus larger cables may be needed to compensate.

What are these motors doing exactly, I assume in asking the question then this isn't your normal field so I would be very cautious to taking on this work as so many factors can mean the difference between a installation that is correct and free from nuisance tripping.
What will the front end device be for your short circuit protection of the circuit and what size are you choosing?

Reply to Calculating electric motor cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Happy New Year all. Quick question regarding cable sizing. I have a 25m run from DB to car charging unit. The 25m run will mean approx 8m is run...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have just found out that a family member who is having some Building work done has been advised to insulate above the Kitchen...
Replies
Views
I am doing a campervan conversion and have a 16A/250V shore power connection coming into a consumer unit which has two breakers - one for the AC...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a client who is developing a plot of land for a single house. Currently, their 100 amp service cut-out is in a cubicle fed by...
Replies
Views
We are in the process of restoring 4 of a group of 5 Brookhirst DC motor starters from 1936. These are a thing of beauty and the engineering in...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock