Search the forum,

Discuss calibration certification in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sweeneyuk

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand fluke 1652 & need some advice on who, where & how much for calibration?

Also would like to know what the opinions are on the checkbox's that if used regularly extend calbration cert by 3 years?
Seen some that are basically just a credit card with resistors inlaid for £20 up to £££'s, some inc an rcd test also. any opinions on whether they are worthwhile & which is best value?

I purchased the fluke 1652 used as i intend to complete the 2391 in jan but now wonder if i should have paid more for the 1652b. Will the mft i have be adequate & still comply with latest regs?

calibration available via fleabay. about 50 quid or so. ditto 23quid check cards approved by elecsa. 1652 is compliant with current regs, no prob.

Any tester or group of testers that include a voltage tester, a low resistance ohmmeter, an insulation resistance tester, an earth fault loop impedance tester and an RCD tester will do. You would also need something to test phase rotation for 2391 I guess (I've done 2392 but haven't got the experience to attempt 2391 yet).

see GN3 p.81

Don't worry, the 1652 still complies with the regs, I've also got one of them, I was going to get a 1652b model but its now worth it, the only difference is the b model has

1652b - PASS/FAIL indication for RCD tests. 1652 - Just displays the ms.

1652b - Fast high current loop test. 1652 - Takes slightly longer but still does the same job.

1652b - Supplies with zero adapter for easy test lead compensation. 1652 - User must Zero out leads / plug top with a piece of wire. or similar

Be careful of check boxes etc saying that they extend calibration to 3 years!!!
A proper check box itself still needs calibrating every year....they are only worth it if you have a number of testers that you can calibrate on them.
eg. 10 testers @ £50 a year =£500 1 check box @ £50 a year for 10 testers.
Calcards are more for confirming your tester between calibrations.

FYI, The area engineer for the NICEIC is perfectly happy that, as long as the readings remain relatively constant; and an annual cross-check is made against a different tester, then there is no requirement to calibrate the tester, or replace the calcard.

The NICEIC must have different hymn sheets they sing from for different people.
The last time I spoke to them the testers used should be calibrated yearly, and checked quarterly.
Other than that they could be calibrated every 3 years if they are proven on a calibrated check box every year as well as checked quarterly.
This however was for a large contracting company who were probably being ripped off!
Do you have anything in writing off them that states their minimum requirements for the calibration of testers?

I have a Megger 1552 & a Calcard and keep a log sheet of the readings taken every week or so. At my last Elecsa assesment the assessor was well chuffed and didn't see any problem with calibration once every three years or when there is a noticable deviation of the calcard readings. He stated that the regular check that I carried out and recorded proved that the tester is still within it calibration. I also have a padlocked (& correctly labled!) non-RCD test socket in the garage that I use for the verifying the Zs calibration which I also record on the sheet.

Reply to calibration certification in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net