Discuss Can anyone identify these meter tails? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening,

Carried out EV charger installation survey today & found this meter. Is that a 16mm concentric type cable adapter between cutout & meter?
This is a TT installation, tails unprotected. Not sure about installation method of DNO supply.
I'd like to upgrade tails to 25mm between cutout & meter, looks like the tails adapter can be removed & replaced with standard tails?

Also - meter is only rated for 80A, unsure of cutout fuse size.

Maybe easier to have smart meter fitted & convert to TNC-S

PXL_20220317_164130782.jpg

Evening,

Carried out EV charger installation survey today & found this meter. Is that a 16mm concentric type cable adapter between cutout & meter?
This is a TT installation, tails unprotected. Not sure about installation method of DNO supply.
I'd like to upgrade tails to 25mm between cutout & meter, looks like the tails adapter can be removed & replaced with standard tails?

Also - meter is only rated for 80A, unsure of cutout fuse size.

Maybe easier to have smart meter fitted & convert to TNC-S

View attachment 96130
Yes I had some like these just last week but can;' be that sure they are the same as the ones I used.

Ok interesting thanks. Explains that.
Not much point in uprating them since the meter is only rated for 80A. Looks like I'll have to get the DNO involved and wait for eternity.
In the meantime, I can fit an import limiter to the EV charger.

Might be a camera angle thing but that looks like it might be the top of a clamp where the earthing conductor vanishes into floor.
Have you checked any Zs readings yet?

The outgoing live wrapped in tape doesn’t look so great either.

The fuse is 100A, and the concentric running from fuse to meter looks no smaller than the incoming supply cable… so I don’t think it will need upgraded.
Just get on with what you need to do.

The outgoing live wrapped in tape doesn’t look so great either.

The fuse is 100A, and the concentric running from fuse to meter looks no smaller than the incoming supply cable… so I don’t think it will need upgraded.
Just get on with what you need to do.
Doubt very much that the fuse is 100A, that meter has a max rating of 80A so it is likely to be a 80A fuse maximum, but could be 60A, given the age, most likely 80A

Doubt very much that the fuse is 100A, that meter has a max rating of 80A so it is likely to be a 80A fuse maximum, but could be 60A, given the age, most likely 80A
I was just taking the sticker at face value.
Only seen them as “100” or “60/80” in domestic.

Stickers must be there for a reason… as in for filling in the box on an EICR. It’s not like we can pull the fuse to check it’s actual size.

I was just taking the sticker at face value.
Only seen them as “100” or “60/80” in domestic.

Stickers must be there for a reason… as in for filling in the box on an EICR. It’s not like we can pull the fuse to check it’s actual size.
That's just the rating of the holder.

Sometimes they do have a sticker or label giving the fuse rating, but that's just the maximum for the fuse holder.

Oh that life was that simple!
If it says 100 it could be anything.
60/80 = guess which.
60 is the only simple one.
I did find a 40 once!

label says it's llegal and dangerous. so DNO is you first port of call.

I'm pretty confident it's TT although haven't metered.
Old meter in still in place.
Same Earth cable leaving box can be seen other side of wall connected to Earth rod.
Concentric incoming cable does not look like a TN-S cable.

I'll meter it before making any big decisions

Reply to Can anyone identify these meter tails? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net