Discuss Can electrical engineers do repairs during Covid times in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this forum and would kindly request advice from any of your members.
BDC5FD82-160E-4779-8ECE-38A2DA3E6C50.png

I have a Solar Inverter which is inside its 10 year warranty but has now it appears sadly stopped working. The company Uenergy originally asked for photos of their instalation, which I provided, claimed an engineer would be in touch, he never did, and finally now claim that they are unable to work on the property due to Covid regulations. It seems the official guidelines from the Gov website contradict their statement. Please see attached. Are Solar enginneers allowed to work on properties to fix supplies.
Many thanks for your time and thank you in advance for any help you can supply me with.

Tradespersons come under the definition of essential workers so yes, however every employer still has the duty of care to undertake risk assessments so you may be finding that although they CAN work in peoples homes, they deem the risk top great (even with amended policies and PPE (PPE always being at the bottom of the control hierarchy).

If that is the case there is little you can do.

Warranties would generally be extended given the current climate however I would get it in writing, you could use thier own policy to bolster this argument insomuch that you reported the issue in the warranty period, the fact they can't get out to sort it is down to them not you, you reported the fault within warranty so you ar covered if I ever went sour.

As above, yes trades people and many others can work, subject to the employers own rules.
It may be that Uenergy have decided working on Solar is not essential and have furloughed all their employees, that's their choice and right to do that.

But as Lister, get them to agree that any fault found / work needed will be covered under warranty if 10 years runs out before they restart working.

I'm surprised they aren't working in homes where people aren't shielding, but it's Uenergy that make the decision.

There were issues with car servicing and warranties in the first lockdown as dealers would only service and repair essential workers cars.
Ford said they would extend the time period between services and not void warranties but not the mileage.
So if you car hit the 10,000 or whatever between services Ford expected you to stop using the car, I don't know whether they stuck with that policy.

Tradespersons come under the definition of essential workers so yes, however every employer still has the duty of care to undertake risk assessments so you may be finding that although they CAN work in peoples homes, they deem the risk top great (even with amended policies and PPE (PPE always being at the bottom of the control hierarchy).

If that is the case there is little you can do.

Warranties would generally be extended given the current climate however I would get it in writing, you could use thier own policy to bolster this argument insomuch that you reported the issue in the warranty period, the fact they can't get out to sort it is down to them not you, you reported the fault within warranty so you ar covered if I ever went sour.
Than you for your quick response

Reply to Can electrical engineers do repairs during Covid times in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net