Discuss Can you hide a fire alarm panel in a commercial premises? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Fire alarm panel currently installed in a high street premises signed off by building regs.

Looking to install a stud partition in-front of all electrical services (including the fire panel) which are access via an unsecured hinged wall panel. Does this still meet regulations?

Can anyone help answer this urgently?

morally, I think you would be better to relocate fire panel to a position where it is readily accessible in the event of a fire.

it might be a bit of a pest now,
but how would you feel if an inquest ruled that someone died because they were not aware of where the fire was?

morally, I think you would be better to relocate fire panel to a position where it is readily accessible in the event of a fire.

it might be a bit of a pest now,
but how would you feel if an inquest ruled that someone died because they were not aware of where the fire was?

Thanks for response.

Understand that but would you still think this would be an issue if the building was 20m x 5m on ground level and open plan (only small toilet at rear - fully visible from most areas), and a small 1 room basement which measures approx 6m x 5m (also 1 room open plan room)

Thanks

if you are asking for a concrete yes that will be fine type answer, I doubt anyone her will give it.

has the tenant or building owner got a fire risk assessment that you can consult?
if not, the local fire brigade will often give good advice. I have had them visit various sites in the past and found them helpful and informative when it comes to best practice and avoiding dangers.

after all they are the people who might one day have to enter that building when it is burning down.

you might be surprised, sometimes they will just thank you for your time and make a note on there files that fire panel is located behind door Adj. main enterance.

The control panel for a simple premises should be located at the entrance and preferably visible from outside, such as through a window. Also on show should be a zone plan, this is required for even the simplest of Part 1 systems so attending rescue services who may not be familiar with the building layout actually know where the zone fire indicated actually is.

Fire alarm panel currently installed in a high street premises signed off by building regs.

Looking to install a stud partition in-front of all electrical services (including the fire panel) which are access via an unsecured hinged wall panel. Does this still meet regulations?

Can anyone help answer this urgently?
Which Regulations are you looking at:
BS7671?
The Regulatory Reform Fire safety Order 2005 Known as RRO?
Fire Alarm Systems Legislation EN54?
Or the Building Regulations?

The control panel for a simple premises should be located at the entrance and preferably visible from outside, such as through a window. Also on show should be a zone plan, this is required for even the simplest of Part 1 systems so attending rescue services who may not be familiar with the building layout actually know where the zone fire indicated actually is.
This is how I've always understood the requirements, visible at the entrance with no obstructions accompanied by zone drawing. That's just me following orders though, not being a person with any in depth knowledge of fire systems.
Where's Taz when you need him ? :(

Which Regulations are you looking at:
BS7671?
The Regulatory Reform Fire safety Order 2005 Known as RRO?
Fire Alarm Systems Legislation EN54?
Or the Building Regulations?
EN54 is product standard. System design in most circumstances adheres to BS5839:1.

Reply to Can you hide a fire alarm panel in a commercial premises? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock