Discuss Cannot get 3-phase - problem? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mark

I have the following:
Extension Ring 32A
Up Ring 1 32A
Up Ring 2 32A
Down Ring 1 32A
Down Ring 2 32A
Kitchen 1 Ring 32A
Kitchen 2 Ring 32A
cooker 1 32A
Cooker 2 32A
Shower 16A
Up Lights 1 6A
Up Lights 2 6A
Up lights 3 6A
Down Lights 1 6A
Down Lights 2 6A
Down Lights 3 6A
Smoke Alarms 6A
Garage Supply 40A
Outbuildings 50A

The Electricity board say that they are unable to supply us with 3 phase power.

How can i run all that lot of a single phase main.

Split the tails and have 2 DB?

Can i have some Advice and guidance as to where i should go with this as the place is nearly ready to be made live but i need to know if its even legal to connect all this up to the existing 100A supply

All is going through LABC btw.:)

Mmm,tough one....I would contact the electrical supplier and see if they can provide you with a bigger than normal main fuse. Of coure this depends on incoming cable sizing and their arrangements at the sub station etc. Generally speaking the 100A standard main fuse is well undersize,and the actual capacity of your supply may be well in xcess of this.
100A was always plenty in the old days, but it is unrealistic in a lot of circumstances now.
(The sizing and demand etc should all have been sorted out at the design stage of the build, by the way......)

Hi.

Before you go back to the electricity supplier you will need an accurate figure of maximum demand.

You can do this working out your total loading then by looking in the onsite guide - table 1B which will give you the allowances for diversity between final circuits in order to size supply parameters. With this in mind you will know what you need to ask for and they can say if they can supply it or not. I would say not as you are looking at quite some load there, but they may be able to supply a larger fuse.

I have the following:
Extension Ring 32A
Up Ring 1 32A
Up Ring 2 32A
Down Ring 1 32A
Down Ring 2 32A
Kitchen 1 Ring 32A
Kitchen 2 Ring 32A
cooker 1 32A
Cooker 2 32A
Shower 16A
Up Lights 1 6A
Up Lights 2 6A
Up lights 3 6A
Down Lights 1 6A
Down Lights 2 6A
Down Lights 3 6A
Smoke Alarms 6A
Garage Supply 40A
Outbuildings 50A

The Electricity board say that they are unable to supply us with 3 phase power.

How can i run all that lot of a single phase main.

Split the tails and have 2 DB?

Can i have some Advice and guidance as to where i should go with this as the place is nearly ready to be made live but i need to know if its even legal to connect all this up to the existing 100A supply

All is going through LABC btw.:)
Hi, yes it does sound a lot,But if this is a domestic property which I will asume it is perhaps you should rethink about diversity.and do you really need 32amp rings? Perhaps these could be "fused" down to 16amp.Apart from the kitchen ones which I assume will have dishwasher and washing
machine.Do you really need 50AMPS in outhouse.Do you really need 40amps in garage.(also your shower at 16amps sounds low,maybe its a shower pump only needing 6amp) If you were to fit a comercial type
3phase dist board,the main switch is usually 125amp.Also your cookers if you check the loading on the actual appliace you will probably find that they actually consume less than 20amps each,so these circuits could also be fused down.If your outhouse is to be used as a workshop,it might be possable to get this on its own meter,though the owner would then have to pay for 2 connections,though not 2 standing charges as I think these standing charges have now been done away with. As for the previous suggestions to source a larger fuse I would agree,most of the time even though it says on the service box that you have a 100cut out these are very often only 80amp.and it would be easier to supply it yourself and give it to the geezer conecting the meter.,but sometimes their meters are only rated at 80amps anyway.I tthink it would be very unlikely that you would be exceeding 80amps for a prolonged period anyway.So if you jiggle stuff about as above I recon you will be ok. gOOD LUCK

How does a diversity calculation work in the UK? I hate to have every post say "In the U.S. this, and in the U.S. that...", but here, you could have 1000 A worth of circuit breakers, because it isn't likely that every circuit will be loaded to capacity at one time. In other words, adding up the ratings of the circuits is no indication of what size service I would need to install. 200 A is a standard service size for residential applications, but I could have ten 42-circuit panels full of 20 A breakers on that service and be compliant, as long as my demand load calculation determined that I was within my initial 200 A.

Reply to Cannot get 3-phase - problem? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock