Discuss Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Went to a job to check out a fault on an outhouse. Turns out that the outhouse is supplied via a 2.5mm T&E from the main house CU, which runs for several meters along an external wall (outside and unprotected) then disapears into a 50mm plastic pipe underground. The good bit is that at the other end (a post on which there is a metal box) the cable miraculously turns into a rubber 3core + earth.
Now I know these cables are running in mechanical protection (no idea of depth) and I understand that there must be a joint somewhere along the route, but from a basic level is 2.5mm T&E running outside then going into buried conduit really compliant with regs?
I can't find where it isn't but a seasoned Spark tells me it's not compliant.
Any non sarcastic reply warmly welcomed. ;)

The fact that degradation has occurred proves, in my opinion, that it doesn’t comply as an installation method.
If nothing else the ref about good workmanship and materials etc hasn’t been complied with.

True, but there are countless numbers of installations like these and even when picked up as issues on EICR’s owners don’t have to do anything about them ......

Apart from lack of UV protection (which could have been sorted with a lick of paint), there’s the hidden joint.
Of course, if it’s an acceptable MF joint, then.....

We were discussing the use of twin & e for outside in another thread, where @Pete999 posted a video.
It does appear that the OSG does suggest that it can be ok.

Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... upload_2018-7-10_22-25-38 - EletriciansForums.net

OK! A bit of a filler for you... whole story.
See picture below.
The cable I mentioned above goes to a metal box on a post. From there it supplies an outhouse (as mentioned) and some stables some 40m away.
The outhouse is subsequently fed witha 2core and Earth rubber cable which is jointed within the outhouse to a 2.5mm T&E (which also had faults).
The stables were supplied from a cable I don't recall seeing before (see picture). It is a 20mm almost solid pvc cable with a solid core conductor. They had used one for the live and one for the neutral so there were two cables running the 40m to the stables. No earth and I haven't yet checked for an earth spike.
Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

True, but there are countless numbers of installations like these and even when picked up as issues on EICR’s owners don’t have to do anything about them ......
That is their choice, as long as the Report is concise and accurate it is not your problem.
We were discussing the use of twin & e for outside in another thread, where @Pete999 posted a video.
It does appear that the OSG does suggest that it can be ok.

View attachment 43241
It does not suggest it can be left exposed to the elements or mechanical stress.

OK! A bit of a filler for you... whole story.
See picture below.
The cable I mentioned above goes to a metal box on a post. From there it supplies an outhouse (as mentioned) and some stables some 40m away.
The outhouse is subsequently fed witha 2core and Earth rubber cable which is jointed within the outhouse to a 2.5mm T&E (which also had faults).
The stables were supplied from a cable I don't recall seeing before (see picture). It is a 20mm almost solid pvc cable with a solid core conductor. They had used one for the live and one for the neutral so there were two cables running the 40m to the stables. No earth and I haven't yet checked for an earth spike.
Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock