Discuss Car radio sometimes doesn't power on, not the usual fix though in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I drive a 1997 Nissan Terrano, 3.2L turbo diesel. I've put an aftermarket head unit in it (already had one but wanted to upgrade - I upgraded to a pioneer mixtrax) and found that sometimes when I turn my car on, the head unit doesn't turn on. When this happens it works fine when I turn the key to glow the engine, but as soon as I go to actually start it, there's just nothing. Once this has happened, it won't turn on again until I've disconnected the car battery, waited a minute or so and then reconnected it. Once I've done that it works flawlessly, crisp clear sound and everything else works as it should.
There are no blown fuses and the wiring seems to be just fine. The only other thing I've heard is that an amp could be causing it, but I'm not sure how to see if that is the issue or not.
It seems to happen more frequently in cooler weather.
If it helps at all, I also had a similar thing happen when installing the head unit and sub+amp (did these at separate times), where the car almost seemed as if it didn't recognise that they had been installed until I disconnected the battery again and reconnected it.

TL;DR
Radio sometimes doesn't turn on when starting my car, doesn't turn back on until I disconnect car battery, wait a minute or so and then reconnect. Works perfectly until it doesn't turn on again
I'd be tempted to try it on a completely separate battery or DC power supply. To eliminate the car wiring/amplifiers completely

Reply to Car radio sometimes doesn't power on, not the usual fix though in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net