Discuss Career advice just finished college in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I'm hoping to get a bit of advice from someone in the know to help me take my next step into becoming an electrician.

I'm 30 and been a labourer for many years
Just got my C&G level 3 in electrical installing at college in the evenings as a grown up we all have responsibilities and I'm trying to minimise the pay cut from when I make the transition.

My first question is what makes a learner more valuable ? I drive I have a car full of tools and a couple of qualifications but not alot of experience more Just general labour experience

My next question is
I was thinking of doing a week for free every month with the electricians my firm subs next year so I can gain some experience and do my portfolio (NVQ) which I could hopefully get done in a year and then get my 18th and 2391 after.
I figured the portfolio would be the harder thing to get.
Or would it make more sense to leave the nvq for now and just focus on getting my 18th and 2391 out of the way first ?

Any advice would be much appreciated I've been going back and forth with the idea for the past few weeks and just want to be smart in taking the next step forward.

focus on the nvq. and 18th. 2391 is testing/inspection and can come later. if you can get hands-on practicalexperience, then document everything you do and build your portfolio.

Reply to Career advice just finished college in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I completed my level 2 2365 installation and my level 3 8202 advanced technical diploma in electrical installation and I’m unsure on...
Replies
Views
Does anyone else get emails and phone calls from companies and agencies say we seen your CV and we want you to apply for our job. And when you...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking for advice on electrical careers, i currently work in the access control industry of which i have a deep level of...
Replies
Views
hi all im seeking some advice on what to do next, I have been in the electrical industry for a while but have enrolled onto a collage with my...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m at one of the funny times in my career where I can’t decide on what I want to do. I’m wondering if one of you experiences folks can...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock