Discuss CCTV & Alarm Installation Qualification? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum so will post something in the new members section in a moment but I was just looking for some advice in regards to CCTV & Alarm Installation qualifications.

To cut a long story shortISH ;) me old man has ran an Electrical firm for the last 20 years which does well and has a good customer base but he is pretty old school and doesn't touch CCTV (he isn't keen on the system side). I can't count the amount of times he has been asked to fit CCTV systems and he ends up recommending some firm and in my opinion is missing a trick by not branching out.

Anyhow I've suggested to him that I would like to get involved and eventually start installing CCTV for him. I'm not a complete beginner having worked as a mate for him for 5 years when leaving school before going to work for BT & Sky working on the PSTN side of things. I also hold an IT Technician qualification & a City & Guilds 7202 (level 1 which I did to just refresh on bits). I'm obviously a novice when it comes to CCTV though and was looking around to see if there are any qualifications that you can do just to help with knowledge. The only one I've found that fits in with my current working schedule is a BTEC in CCTV systems on a website called Tavcom? Has anyone heard of these guys or should they really be called Tavcon? I can't even find them on trust pilot.

I noticed they also do an intruder alarm BTEC which I thought might be interesting but again I'm not sure if they can be trusted?

Here is a link to their website

CCTV System Design BTEC Level 5 Diploma - Tavcom Training - https://www.tavcom.com/distance-learning-courses/dl-1/

Any help would be appreciated, I know most of you guys on here know far more than I do so I'm interested to hear your opinions!

Cheers

Tavcom is a well established training provider, any qualifications /training are better than none, however, it depends what your target market is, for example, a straightforward domestic could be an out of the box solution with varifocal lenses meaning little to no design effort and low risk, a more complex systems need a level of understand that will cost you if you get it wrong, this is where training comes in.

CCTV is a lot more plug and play than it used to be, it’s more on par with data installation now, so that’s the training I’d go for as the rest will fall in place.

Check out "eli the computer guy"
Topics that are particularly useful will be iP addresses, subnets, switches and routers and network security.
Not much use having a security system if all it does is let me know when you go to work so I can f*ck with your sh*t.
I have a security system in my rented accommodation. I can switch it off three ways with out the code or setting it off.
If you come to my house unauthorised the dog will maul you BTW

Check out "eli the computer guy"
Topics that are particularly useful will be iP addresses, subnets, switches and routers and network security.
Not much use having a security system if all it does is let me know when you go to work so I can f*ck with your sh*t.
I have a security system in my rented accommodation. I can switch it off three ways with out the code or setting it off.
If you come to my house unauthorised the dog will maul you BTW
Thanks for the tips mate I will check him out! The more information I can learn the better!

Nice to hear you have a dog! What type of biscuits does it like? ;)

to go back to the OP..... you don't need any quals for alarms and CCTV, just tackle what's in your comfort zone and learn as you go deeper into it. most CCTV is plug and play. that which isn't is just a power feed and a coax. and intruder alarms come with comprehensive installation manuals. Fire alarms are a different kettle of kippers. as you are installing life saving systems and your arse is in a sling if you get it wrong.

to go back to the OP..... you don't need any quals for alarms and CCTV, just tackle what's in your comfort zone and learn as you go deeper into it. most CCTV is plug and play. that which isn't is just a power feed and a coax. and intruder alarms come with comprehensive installation manuals. Fire alarms are a different kettle of kippers. as you are installing life saving systems and your arse is in a sling if you get it wrong.
Your right that fire alarms are more serious, unless your in South Africa, but still there's no requirement for qualifications.
I have none but my insurance does cover me to install them and if I do it right that's the end of the story.

Hi guys

Been doing some basic alarm system stuff with my dad on site which has helped but I've seen some systems are more complex these days than they used to be.

Anyhow I've seen this place in Manchester who do alarm fitting courses, I know it's not needed but I think it might be good for my knowledge.

Anyone heard of these guys? Intruder Alarm Installation Course – 2 Days | Learn CCTV - https://learncctv.co.uk/shop/intruder-alarm-course-1-day/

Knowledge will come with expierence, my Dad taught me when I was 13 how to install panels. Your not going to be doing monitoring as of yet, so really you don’t need to install the panel to a grade 2 standard. I would suggest buying a alarm system, couple of PIR, door contacts, battery and internal/external bell, then install it at home, on a bit of mdf and learn from that. Pyronix you can default it to either Grade 2 or non graded so you can see the difference between a graded and non graded system. Then it’s just were and were not to install PIRS I’m sure there will topic on that somewhere or just read the manual that comes with PIR.

Knowledge will come with expierence, my Dad taught me when I was 13 how to install panels. Your not going to be doing monitoring as of yet, so really you don’t need to install the panel to a grade 2 standard. I would suggest buying a alarm system, couple of PIR, door contacts, battery and internal/external bell, then install it at home, on a bit of mdf and learn from that. Pyronix you can default it to either Grade 2 or non graded so you can see the difference between a graded and non graded system. Then it’s just were and were not to install PIRS I’m sure there will topic on that somewhere or just read the manual that comes with PIR.
Brilliant advice cheers pal! I think practicing at home would be a good idea for sure!

Hi guys

Been doing some basic alarm system stuff with my dad on site which has helped but I've seen some systems are more complex these days than they used to be.

Anyhow I've seen this place in Manchester who do alarm fitting courses, I know it's not needed but I think it might be good for my knowledge.

Anyone heard of these guys? Intruder Alarm Installation Course – 2 Days | Learn CCTV - https://learncctv.co.uk/shop/intruder-alarm-course-1-day/

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY

I DID MY RESEARCH AND FO
Brilliant advice cheers pal! I think practicing at home would be a good idea for sure!

Money launderers moved £10m to off-shore bank accounts – and organised it all over WhatsApp

You can learn it yourself, I did some research about the above company learnCCTV, registered name: LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES LTD, guess what, the company director Mr Umar Haq name appeared in the following article. It can't be coincidence that both lives at the same address.

It's absolutely fine for someone to run a company after serving their sentence. However, considering the nature of the business which requires a full and comprehensive DBS check, I don't have much hope about their training.

Tavcom is a reputed company and their courses are accredited by BTECH.

Reply to CCTV & Alarm Installation Qualification? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock