Discuss Changes to Part P in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Third party sign off's wer'nt advised under previous part p but have been given the green light after april, in the form of an EICR.
Which im sure most issue on a regular basis, for systems that they have'nt installed and you dont have to be a scam member to do these. A non registered electrician will be able to carry out work (after first informing BC) do tests and fill in an EIC.
The third party sign off was not advised due to the logistics of responsibility, most major companies have only 1 or registered notifiers and they rely on the "team" complying with the regs. Hence my example as the "responsible person" had missed 2 potentially dangerous hazards but if the householder had been electrocuted with no CPC who would have gone to court? The new regs require "qualified" supervisors who can sign off and supervise employees so we have 2 levels, I can sign off my own work and sign off someone else's but cannot take a supervisors job because I haven't got a supervisors ticket.
The next stage is that only qualified supervisors can sign off 3rd party work and then... and finally we have no self employed tradesmen. The government don't want us even though we keep the big boys honest, like companies who charge £6.95 per month just in case something goes wrong or £72 call out fee, becuase our tax is complex and individual and then of course HMRC believes we are cheats because we don't charge £72 per hour plus VAT.
Big companies drive the changes and the registration bodies are just trying to grow their businesses, hence the muddle for us small trademen.

The you have the JIB card and SCS cards, I don't do any contract work and therefore have never had an employer to sign off either. Same scenario, if you want to work go work for a company!

Sorry for the rant, just used to work for a big company which was operated by directors for directors and their friends the politicians. Saw it on a regular basis where interpretations changed within the company and this was followed by "best practice" and "code of practice" from the government. See this as the same and unfortunately we are the ones getting swatted.

Well dont know about it going to top government level, conspiracy to get rid of sole traders but it is a complete mess, always has been.
The main reason for the change's comes down to what it always does, MONEY. Or rather a lack of it. Councill budgets up and down the country have been slashed. This will certainly be a saving not having to issue cert's for every kitchen, garden light, water feature install, etc.
Then there's the fact that it never really worked even now after eight years i dont think the majority of joe-public have even heard of it.
I never joined a scam mainly out of principal, (i had done my training the proper way and had 8 years experience when part pish came out, but that counted for nothing unless i gave up my hard earned cash to be the same status as a Electrical Trainee) have given it serious thought on many occasions but every year there were always rumours of change so didnt bother.
The only way to sort it out is for a scheme similar to gas safe, prblem is their money grabbing tw*£s also.

longboat1, that's an interesting take on it, I haven't been in the trade as long as you and I have been with elecsa for 3 years and have my renewal coming up and am going to ring them tomorrow to clarify these changes.

I do a lot of work for a high end kitchen company and maybe 5% of customers ask if I am part pee, which I was but now I think I won't bother!

They will still get a certificate, still be covered by public liability, still offer my own warranty, 24 hour call out etc etc none of which are different by being with Elecsa!

As a Scottish sparky looking in on this from afar I am sorry to say MDJ that not only will NICEIC allow their members to sign of other peoples work they will positively persue and sell it to their members as a good revenue stream why ? Because this will get them out of the hole that they created remember they pushed for Part P they sold the 5 week training courses so the Jimmy the joiner who was throwing in kitchens could be trained to install electrics safely . So what went wrong well in my view Part P was to be self policed LABC did not have the resources to do it and the Schemies would not do it as they were too busy collecting subs and sending snotty nosed kids to access you whilst at the same time sell you courses because of all the changes ie BGB EICR COP4 I could go on but no doubt it will change yet again before I can push the submit button.

You also need to ask yourself why are they changing this well in my view in this case its not because of changes sake it is just they can no longer hold the flood of Jimmy or Jimsky the kitchen fitters back and are now cutting their losses by saying ok do what you have done for years but our members get to sign it off. So whats the problem well they are all for it but their members will no longer be able to say charge £800-£1500 to wire test and pass a kitchen installation instead they will be expected to fight with the builder/owner about signing it off for £90.

From where I am this is a bigger mess on what you have already

:willy_nilly:. And your wallet.:smilielol5:

Reply to Changes to Part P in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net