Discuss Chasing into engineering brick in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy82

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some advice about how to chase into engineering brick. Full story below.

I've mounted a TV onto the wall, not my preference but long-story-short it's happening. I'm running the cables (HDMI and aerial etc) behind the wall but it's a solid wall. So, I've bought some square trunking (30mm deep and 60mm wide) that gives me plenty of space for swapping wires etc and away we go to start chasing into the wall:

Old old plaster comes off nice and easy using a multi-tool with a masonry attachment, nice and neat. I then need to go a further 2.5 cm into the brick all the way down the channel so that the trunking is deep enough to plaster over. The first few bricks at the top of the channel aren't too much trouble, I'm using a combination of drilling holes to the correct depth with an SDS drill and then knocking out the brick with a hammer and scutch chisel, so far so good.

BUT, the bottom two bricks are like nothing else, I assume they are engineering bricks. The SDS drill with a masonry bit doesn't make a dent in it and I've actually managed to break one of the teeth of the scutch chisel when I was really going for it!

Can anyone help here? I only need to get about 2.5 cm into a 60mm wide section of the two remaining bricks. Any advice as to what tools will be my friend?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

angle grinder with a diamond blade, but caution there will be A LOT OF DUST.

angle grinder with a diamond blade, but caution there will be A LOT OF DUST.
3B9B72AE00000578-0-image-a-127_1482557490819.jpg

a lot of dust .LOL.

I had a job like that a while ago with a concrete wall. Customer wanted a massive TV on it with all the tec in a bespoke unit the other end of the room. Ended up studding off the wall enough for the cables to go behind then plaster board on the studs. Took a day to do apart from the plastering!

Hi,give us a clue as to building construction,type,age,etc,and i'll tell you how to achieve success:)

Reply to Chasing into engineering brick in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net