Discuss chnaging CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Played Wow from launch until WoTLK was released.....all became the same old same old so very unlikely i'll return in truth...dont like Panda's

I had 5 or 6 alliance toons 3 of which I'd maxed to the end of Wotlk on arathor and 1 horde on bronze dragonflight. When MoP is released, as I say, I'll more than likely go back and max the rest

I've got to install a CU for an old fusebox.Problem is, there's not enough space for a split load CU.As I've only got 7 circuits, is it alright for me to put a unit in with 1 RCD that protects all the circuits?

Do you have all of the dimensions for the cupboard?

If you could post up what space is available perhaps a kind member may know of something that will do just the job:thumbsup

"I" personally would never fit just one RCD covering an entire installation.

Two reasons automatically spring to mind 1) If there is a fault on a single one of the seven circuits the entire installation will be wiped out, you know only too well this is more than likely going to happen at night leaving the house in complete darkness which will put the client at risk of injury due to not being able to find their way in the dark.

Second reason that also springs to mind, a build up of earth leakage over the 7 circuits may cause nuisance tripping of the RCD device.

I would most definitely try to encourage your client to opt for RCBO's however, this can get expensive as I am sure you have already realised.

There are other ways of not requiring RCD protection but IF steel earthed conduit is not already in place or cables buried not less than 50mm in walls then this work will far outweigh that of providing RCBO protection.

PS, I've had a wonderful weekend away and not been on the forum to read any other threads or get wound up by the many trolls that visit the forum so out of the kindness of my chilled heart I have provided what I believe to be my most informative reply.

PS There is a like button in the bottom right corner of this post and a Thanks button on the bottom left.

Please post back and let us know the dimensions and keep us updated with your progress,

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum:thumbsup

:D

A couple of points.
You say the CU is in a metal cupboard, is this a skeleton board, where the metal cupboard is the outer case of the CU?
If it is, then I suggest doing a search for skeleton board, and you should be able to find some info.
Yes you can have a CU wth a single 30mA RCD, but you would not be able to have it cover all of the circuits.
Someone mentioned something about the cables being in 'steel' conduit, not certain in what context, but there's no requirement in BS7671 for anything other than earthed metallic conduit?
In many instances the conduit was used as the CPC, and now due to corrosion the conduit is not good enough to still be used as the CPC.
You may find it very hard to pull out the existing cables and even harder to pull in T&E. It may well be easier to use singles.

Just to update:
The NICEIC have confirmed that DCS electrical.com are not not on the NICEIC roll and are being added to their wall of shame

Reply to chnaging CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net