Discuss Choice of emergency lighting strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm looking at arrangements for lighting in a small room. It needs a decent level of low-shadow light when occupied, but as windows are usually shuttered it also need to have emergency lighting in case of a fault (not for long though, 30 min is plenty of time to fix or leave).

My initial idea was some strip lights, probably LED instead of fluorescent, and a couple of small emergency lights. But after a look around I found a couple of suppliers offering LED strip lights with built in emergency backup, but as they are generally without replaceable lamp I want something dependable. Examples include:

TL;DR Anyone with experience of good strip light / emergency light combo?

1 hour or 3 hour are the only options according to the BS.

Most fittings are 3 hour by default anyway

I use Ansell tornado LED IP65 fittings personally and have never had a problem yet

I use Ansell tornado LED IP65 fittings personally and have never had a problem yet
Just reading the instructions for those and the worrying bit is:

"Do not leave in emergency mode for prolonged periods over 12hrs. This can lead to irreparable damage to the battery pack."

As this site is rarely manned it could be days before the loss of light power is noticed!

Is the supply unreliable? It's pretty unusual for a power cut of more than a few hours. Or do they isolate the circuit when not in use?.. also a bit unusual.

Is the supply unreliable? It's pretty unusual for a power cut of more than a few hours. Or do they isolate the circuit when not in use?.. also a bit unusual.
I would like to think it is reliable, but also it is a fsck-stupid design not to have some sort of low voltage cut-out to protect the battery during prolonged maintenance work.
[automerge]1587824192[/automerge]
Does it need emergency lighting.
I don't know for sure - would have to check on that point. It is only 10m x 3m and little fire risk, etc.

But as a tripped circuit would plunge anyone in there in to practically complete darkness (with only LEDs on equipment from UPS supplied stuff) it is something I would not be happy without.

The usual way is to disconnect the battery, I would say.
For transport or long-term storage that is perfectly good to me.

But 12 hours to damage because someone tried to save 5p on the cost by not having that extra capability to cut off the at 70% nominal battery voltage? That sounds like rubbish design to me I'm afraid :(

Reply to Choice of emergency lighting strip light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net