Discuss Circuit RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tony Way

-
Arms
Reaction score
If I put a new socket on an 30A MCB circuit with an RCD socket front on, does this meet requirements under chapter 41, or do I need to RCD the entire circuit?

Exisiting consumer unit is semi-enclosed converted to MCB on a PME 60A supply

Many thanks

TOny

No. Would have to spur off the ring somewhere. What about a RCD fused spur connection?

If you monted this adjacent to the existing socket you intend to spur off, then your new works will comply with 522.6 (iv) (i think it is) if the cable is buried in the wall less than 50mm etc etc, and 411.3.3, socket outlets for use by ordinary persons.

I had an external socket spurred off a ring fed from a CB CU to replace the socket with an external RCD unit it would have cost £45 instead I fitted an RCBO at £28
so the whole ring was being covered customer happy as he got more bang for his buck and it took me 15 mins to fit and test without having to muck about outside
and wait until the rain went off

Reply to Circuit RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Did a couple of inspections on 2 x 2 bed ground floor flood damaged flats today, only 4 circuits in each, bizarrely one socket circuit and 2...
Replies
Views
Hi there , Currently doing a college project where i need to select protective devices for the contract. I'm now at the point of selecting SPDs...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views
The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
NICEIC Certification Scheme New Circuit - NO RCDs
A client wants an outdoor socket installing on a new circuit. The current installation doesn't have any RCDs for the other circuits. I would put...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock