Discuss Coding question - Twin and Earth Tails in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Coding question - Twin and Earth Tails IMG_1781.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
As above really. First time I have seen this but its basically 16mm twin and earth connected straight into the outgoing side of the meter, and into the consumer unit. Quality. Couldn't quite get a picture of the external MET but can confirm an additional cable has been added to bring the size of the main earth up. So two main earths if you like. The 'additional earth' is sleeved as well (not insulated at-all).
TNS, cut out fuse size not known (says 100Amp on sticker but unlikely round here). Low demand anyway and certainly no thermal damage.
I'm thinking code 2 but interested in others thoughts on this one?

If there's no sign of thermal damage and it's a firm connection with not much chance of over load then I'd C3 personally - Only thing that could happen to make it dangerous would be an lengthy overload but it would take a lot to melt 16mm I'd think, especially in Free Air.

Edit - forgot the basic insulation issue, so that would push it to C2. Good luck getting the energy supplier to come out to change it though if it's not one of the big ones.

Surprised any meter installer connected it directly, but that looks like their covers at the meter connectors.

Last edited:
If there's no sign of thermal damage and it's a firm connection with not much chance of over load then I'd C3 personally - Only thing that could happen to make it dangerous would be an lengthy overload but it would take a lot to melt 16mm I'd think, especially in Free Air.

Surprised any meter installer connected it directly, but that looks like their covers at the meter connectors.

Thanks for that - I think it has been installed by a meter installer. The 16mm is tinned copper as well, so it's been there a while. - a lot longer than the consumer unit

Nothing wrong with the cable as such, but only basic insulation at the meter, so it should be coded C2 just the same as if it was double insulated singles with the basic insulation exposed.

Hiya Marcus. Brown and blue labelled to make sure, eh?
C2 ...exposed, single insulation at meter entry. Besides being crap.

If it’s accessible then it’s a C2, basic insulation exposed outside of a suitable enclosure, basic insulation cannot be used on its own as a form of protection.
Good point - I was thinking of the rating but forgot about basic insulation. Though I've often seen tails with the outer sheath trimmed back, especially in Henley Blocks.

Code 2 is then. I think I softened on it when I realised it was never going to overload but yes there is only basic insulation at the connection to the meter. One for the experience bank that. Thank you.

This is one of those tricky ones if it's rented. Only way to carry out the required remedial work would need the energy company to send out a meter guy, and some of the companies seem very loathe to do that in my recent experience and might well not do so within 28 days.

So there is no practical way for the landlord to comply with the current law as it's written.

Question: Would self amalgamating tape of the right kind wrapped round count as additional protection for this purpose?

I was looking for a tick box on my EICR for 'a bit crap' but it wasn't there?!
That would be a VERY well used box!
[automerge]1602014136[/automerge]
Stick a clear sandwich box over it and you have an enclosure and the meter can still be read! ;)

This is one of those tricky ones if it's rented. Only way to carry out the required remedial work would need the energy company to send out a meter guy, and some of the companies seem very loathe to do that in my recent experience and might well not do so within 28 days.

So there is no practical way for the landlord to comply with the current law as it's written.

Its actually a house move with buyer requesting an EICR. Seller still there. But you are right about it being a pita. As soon as I spotted it I informed the current owner what to (try) to do about it and then she spent the afternoon on the phone trying to sort it. Not good. Apparently the energy supplier will only fix it if they, at the same time, upgrade to a smart meter. So that's what's going to happen (and hopefully an isolator as well).

Wonder what woudl happen if the customer phoned up and said he/she was reporting them for installing a meter in a dangerous manner ? That might get some reaction !

Wonder what woudl happen if the customer phoned up and said he/she was reporting them for installing a meter in a dangerous manner ? That might get some reaction !
Yes, also you said it was possibly 100A cut out fuse should be 25mm tails not 16mm twin and earth easiest solution is to install kmf with 60a fuse and cowl to cover the basic insulation which is supplied with kmf

Reply to Coding question - Twin and Earth Tails in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock