Discuss Commando socket/plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi have a query reguarding the possible use of a 240v 16amp commando socket/ plug

i cant find a plug connector( or socket inlet) with a ip rated cover they all appear to be for internal use.Dont really want to fit an enclosure.Customer requires the ability to have power in shed/summer house occaisionaly, does not want or require permenent supply intalled.
i need to attach a socket inlet externally, so customer can connect power easily to the summer house. This inlet will supply x1 DP sw Socket

in theory could you just reverse the socket /plug arrangement as commando sockets are provided with iprated cover

strange one but not sure if the plug and socket can be reversed or does there design restrict this.

Check out Gewiss as they do many socket up to IP66

even the wong tong ones will keep the water out for a week or so.

yes i see your point didnt think about that, cant find a ip rated socket inlet so i think the only way is going to be via ip rated coupler and socket as you have stated the supply lead will need a socket not a plug connector. thanks tel good point

Have a look at this.

Attachments

• GEWISS.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 2
archie, that link shows a plug, not a socket.

I think the OP actually wants an appliance inlet, but mistakenly described it as a socket inlet. There are plenty of appliance inlets with protection up to IP67. On the boat I have one with a spring-loaded flap like this: External Mains Surface Inlet 16A - Caravan Stuff 4 U - https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/electrical/521-mains-inlet-socket-cap-angled-5500001000047.html
For IP67 rated types you have to fit a cap when not in use. E.g. http://www.ceenorm.co.uk/section.php?xSec=71

Reply to Commando socket/plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock